• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The central point about the fight against the authorities on EPPP and undervalued compensation for developing young players that are pinched by higher status academies does need to be continued. But the survival of the club is still stable in the right hands.

Copernicus

Well put. Accepting that in the (unlikely imo) case that we sell no players at all in the next two years, and get no windfalls from any other sources, we have to cut our wage bill to levels we managed on until last year, seems a far cry from implying that we might well go out of business.
The point GiG is making is that the Academy is under threat in 2 years, not the whole club.

But as we all know, if the Academy closes the club will be in a very bad position going forward.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The point GiG is making is that the Academy is under threat in 2 years, not the whole club.

But as we all know, if the Academy closes the club will be in a very bad position going forward.
I've not seen anything about funding for the Academy being at risk. Any reference to that, please?

Copernicus

I have not either, its the point he is raising, but with no evidence.

Quote:
Grecians - until Chelski start to play him in their first team (as Conte did) we have no hope of getting the windfall to keep ECFC afloat in 2 years time. All we can do is sit back and watch the new Welsh Bobby Moore evolve slower than he should.

Please support Save Exeter City Football Academy (SECFA) by doing all you can to spread the word that the Premier League has effectively chosen to close lower league academies - see BBC article here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51134903 and listen to following plea on Radio 5 Live 606 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ffrn . Listen to this (from 28min 30 sec) if you support lower leagues
UTC

However, the point is valid..... Selfish, megabucks, premiershite, shyster clubs killing Real Football.

andrew p long

One of the many good things about Tuesday night’s performance is that it shows (IMHO) that if we needed to we could cut the budget by the 500k *this summer* and still be competitive in League Two. By using the youngsters who have been out on loan this season as integral,albeit backup, members of next season’s squad.

if say we had to do without Woodman Warren Moxey Holmes Martin (L) Fisher Dickenson Richardson, and sold Williams, we would still have a first choice team. Dyer Hartridge and Dean as cover for the back three. Randall as cover for Sparkes. Quality options in midfield with Kite as extra back up. Perhaps a bit of flexibility in the way Jake Taylor and Matt Jay are used because of a shortage at RWB and up front. Key as cover for RWB. Seymour would play more.

so whilst I am very much against complacency over this, it isn’t a cash crisis , we have until 2022, and I trust those in charge to manage successfully.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. GiG put it in quotes though, as though someone had used this specific phrase. And he/she has woven a whole paranoid fantasy around it.
Good Afternoon Fellow Grecians (I hope!) - my non-paranoid 'fantasy' is based on our Supporter's Trust's Chairmen's Dec 2019 Newsletter which I quote below:-

Members also asked to be kept informed of work being carried out against the issue of becoming cash negative in January 2022. I’m pleased to say that due to our FA Cup and Leasing.Com success thus far, and the windfalls associated with these competitions, the critical cashflow point has been deferred until July 2022.” (Exeter City Supporter’s Trust Chairman’s Newsletter Dec 2019)

I accept that I may have mixed up the order of words but the fact (not fantasy) is that ECFC may cease to be viable as it runs at the moment unless their is a significant windfall in that period.

All I am trying to do is get fellow Grecians to "wake up & smell the coffee" before it is too late hence my discussion with Robbie Savage last Sunday re effects of EPP https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ffrn

Sadly I'm old enough to remember the feelings I had in the dark days of 1990s & 2000's and, like many others, then resolved to do all I could to "Save Our City" for future generations to 'enjoy'.

I urge all Grecians to do what you can to raise the threat of the Premier League Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) on our future as both Julian Tagg (https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/december/-chairmans-update-january-2020/ ) & Matt Taylor (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51134903) have tried to do.

OUR Academy is so vital to OUR Fan Owned Exeter City - this is a FACT not PARANOID FANTASY !

UTC

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Leipzig FB full of supporters clamouring for him to be signed permanently......wonder if Chelsea might be tempted and how much they would be prepared to sell him for.

DB9

One of the many good things about Tuesday night’s performance is that it shows (IMHO) that if we needed to we could cut the budget by the 500k *this summer* and still be competitive in League Two. By using the youngsters who have been out on loan this season as integral,albeit backup, members of next season’s squad.

if say we had to do without Woodman Warren Moxey Holmes Martin (L) Fisher Dickenson Richardson, and sold Williams, we would still have a first choice team. Dyer Hartridge and Dean as cover for the back three. Randall as cover for Sparkes. Quality options in midfield with Kite as extra back up. Perhaps a bit of flexibility in the way Jake Taylor and Matt Jay are used because of a shortage at RWB and up front. Key as cover for RWB. Seymour would play more.

so whilst I am very much against complacency over this, it isn’t a cash crisis , we have until 2022, and I trust those in charge to manage successfully.
How does your theory work if we're in L1?

Rosencrantz

We certainly have a good batch of young pros (and hopefully more to come through the scholar's). The question in the next season or so will be how many will be pushing the established first choice players. We could have a number of Law/Jay conundrums to figure out, which will be nice.

denzel

Well if Leipzig do sign him we would be happy to have a share plus they might be persuaded to have a PSF at the Park...
I am sure that after last night he might be on a few clubs radar though, especially if Chelsea dont want him