• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Blimey what a turn up , brilliant stuff Stokes! At least all this has added a bit of excitement to the mix and we have something to play for now.
We really need to win at Old Trafford, but it will be very hard. Smith back, maybe Starc in for Pattinson, and this new batsnan who replaced Smith at Headingly and accumulated 140 runs.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
He couldn't have done it without Jack Leach !
Can't beat a Leach for stickability! (y) He's shown this sort of grit for Somerset more than once.

Avening Posse

What a bleddy fantastic day in sun drenched Leeds (y) If our hotel had been booked with cancellation refund terms we would probably have stayed in Devon yesterday. All the way up on the train we were hoping the game would go into day 4. Great work from Root, Denly and Stokes last night to build the platform. Saw some Strines in the lift in the hotel this morning and told them to prepare for a 2 wicket defeat. Too many soft dismissals today especially after lunch but Ben Stokes was a bleddy marvel. A quite superb innings of defence and then that assault in the last hour that won the game. Could not keep up with it. Massive credit to Jack Leach for supporting Stokesie when others had failed. If that is not the most important 1 not out in the history of Test cricket it is hard to think what is. He can drink and dine out on that for years. Dropped catch and bungled run out helped us and a dopey review by the Strines meant they could not challenge the Stokes LBW shout that might have been out. Have not had a chance to see it again. Hoping to see those Strines in the lift from this morning at breakfast to gently take the pi*s

Quite simply the best day of cricket I have ever seen and great to have been part of a patriotic but sporting crowd that got right behind our boys.

With the City and Somerset wins last night it has been a brilliant weekend.
Very happy for you Al. I know you are a big fan and that was something truly special

geoffwp

I reckon it would be a bit harsh on Joe Denly after his partnership with Root that steadied England Mike. Is a finely balanced ashes the right time to bring Pope back in? Maybe give him a full tour to New Zealand?

Last edited:

geoffwp

Leaving for work in 45 mins :devilish:
How did work go today AP? 😂

Avening Posse

How did work go today AP? 😂
It was great :LOL::LOL:, they all saw the funny side, and they all think they're still gonna win. Quite a few English at my work as well so good banter all round

IndoMike

I reckon it would be a bit harsh on Joe Denly after his partnership with Root that steadied England Mike. Is a finely balanced ashes the right time to bring Pope back in? Maybe give him a full tour to New Zealand?
One good innings in six, Geoff. By the way, for months Boycott has been saying that Stokes has the best batting technique in the team along with Root. If we play Stokes at 3 then Root can play in his favourite 4 and Roy can bat at 5, when the new ball has lost its shine. Roy can't open but give him another chance lower down.
Denly is 33 : he ain't no spring chicken. If he can't bat now he never will. We need a winning mentality : not accept mediocrity

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Ollie Pope should not open. It is not his position. As a result of the Ben Stokes miracle there is a changed dynamic with the series now back alive. On the batting side I now expect no changes other than in the batting order. Maybe Denly to open and Roy at 4. Stokes is the right choice at 3 but I think Root might carry on there.

Alistair20000

Ollie Pope should not open. It is not his position. As a result of the Ben Stokes miracle there is a changed dynamic with the series now back alive. On the batting side I now expect no changes other than in the batting order. Maybe Denly to open and Roy at 4. Stokes is the right choice at 3 but I think Root might carry on there.
The thinking behind this is that while Ben Stokes has the technical skills to bat at 3 he often has long spells with the ball. Coming in 1 down means he would get very little rest before batting as we never have a decent opening partnership these days. Hence he stays at 5 to my mind.

Selectors likely to stick as far as possible with a winning team. I would have experimented with some newbies if the series had gone, but there is a new dynamic now.

In my earlier post I said Jack Leach can eat and drink out for years on his part in the last wicket miracle. I should have said for the rest of his life. I see Specsavers are offering him free specs for life. (y)

Grecian2K

Al, I so envy you for being there on such a HISTORIC day.
I bet you'll be telling everyone who will listen for the rest of your natural life that "I WAS THERE"