• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England Cricket team

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Strauss is only just the wrong side of 30, which in Cricketing parlance is still virtually a kid!

Yep, Cook next up after Strauss.

Bittners a Legend

Strauss is only just the wrong side of 30, which in Cricketing parlance is still virtually a kid!

Yep, Cook next up after Strauss.
He'll be 32 by the time the Ashes comes around and I can't see him still being an England regular by 35. Captaincy takes it out of you ... Plus I suspect we are going to see the forced emergence of a young crop of English players take the place of senior players in the next few years as a result of a completely confused current England set-up. Will be interesting to see whether Strauss gets given ODI captain or not.

The mighty Grecian

apparently Strauss will Captain England in all forms of the game.......

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
All this doesnt surprise me in the slightest.KP has a history of throwing his toys out of the pram when he doesnt get what he wants.Only have to look at his behaviour when he wanted to leave Notts.Thought he had finally grown up when he was given the Englnad captaincy.Our only world class batsman though.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
This latest shambles is another nail in the coffin as far as my interest in the England closed shop is concerned. I am genuinely looking forward to the County Championship starting in April far more than the Ashes.

tisdale 1

Resigned
What a mess we seem to be in, the ashes comming up the aussies playing bad we had a good chance of beating them,we still have if we can sort this mess out kick out the top brass for leeting this happen and hope KP can play with these players again as a normal team player.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
apparently Strauss will Captain England in all forms of the game.......
He isnt and shouldnt be in the odi side , id give someone like Key a go in that.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Named skipper of the ODI and Twenty20 side :S

Test cricketer yes , ODI never.

This may please Jason , but if your thinking of a skipper for the ODI side how about Owais Shah...

The mighty Grecian

Strauss's one day performance will be reviewed after the Carribean tour as it stands

IMO there are only 5 or 6 automatic starters for England in the one day team

Flintoff(doesn't want the captaincy), KP (Sacked/forced to quit) Anderson, Sidebottom ( bowlers should never be captains in my opinion and they are no captain material), Prior (not a captain material)

Andrew Strauss has the experience of captaining one day team and 20/20 as well, it was a safe choice I think

England don't have a proper opening batsman in the one day team so he would solve that crisis as well

maybe Owais could come into contention if he performs well in the ODIs we will have to wait and see

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
While I would obviously defend my old mucker to the hilt, and he is indeed a World Cup-winning Captain (U19 World Cup '95), it would be a disaster were he to Captain the England ODI side.

Remember, he was sacked as Middlesex captain on the morning of a match due to being "tactically naive".

Strauss is a sound player and excellent Captain in both forms of the game - maybe being back in the ODI side too will help him recapture some of the fabulous strokeplay that has gone missing in recent years (albeit replaced with a lot more backbone) from his Test batting.