• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Trophy: Plymouth Argyle v Exeter City Tuesday 3rd October.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
So the six players to start that played on sat would be
Moxey
Pym
Boetang
Stockley
Croll
Jay

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sadly the minimum amount is still 6 who started today. I wouldn't go to this if it was free and played in my back yard.
Agree on the injuries, didn't Croll pick up an injury against Yeovil?
Isn't denzel right that we still have to play half the team that started yesterday ? Anyone able to cite the actual regulation?

As usual the pathetic and useless EFL administration aren't up to the job of even making the rules available on their website. Under 'Competition Rules' on the website these on for ages and ages but at 7 it says

'Each EFL club shall play its full available strength in and during all matches. The League will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes 'full available strength''

No link to the current version. No statement about where to can find it.No indication of whether they make it up as they go along and can change it ,say, on this Tuesday afternoon.

I thought this year's version was 'at least 5 outfield players who started the previous game'

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't denzel right that we still have to play half the team that started yesterday ? Anyone able to cite the actual regulation?

As usual the pathetic and useless EFL administration aren't up to the job of even making the rules available on their website. Under 'Competition Rules' on the website these on for ages and ages but at 7 it says

'Each EFL club shall play its full available strength in and during all matches. The League will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes 'full available strength''

No link to the current version. No statement about where to can find it.No indication of whether they make it up as they go along and can change it ,say, on this Tuesday afternoon.

I thought this year's version was 'at least 5 outfield players who started the previous game'
I agree about the poor EFL website navigation but it took 30 seconds on Google to find this:

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2017/may/efl-statement-on-checkatrade-trophy-changes/

Player Eligibility

For EFL Clubs:
•A Club can play any goalkeeper in the competition;
•· The revised requirement of Rule 7.3 – ‘4 qualifying outfield Players from 10’.

A qualifying outfield Player would be:

Any Player that meets the current criteria (excluding Goalkeepers), includes those who:
•Have started the previous or following first team fixture;
•Are in the top 10 players at the club for starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions for season;
•Have made 40 or more first team appearances in their career;
•Are on loan from either a Premier League or Category 1 Academy Club.

Also

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39895497

"Third-tier and fourth-tier clubs are now able to choose any goalkeeper and only four starting outfield players now have to be "qualifying first-team players", while invited sides need to have six under-21 players in their starting line-up."

So we can play almost all kids. The two WBA lads are eligible. Plus TAH and say Holmes or Simpson if fit and there you are.

Grecian2K

Seems they are getting their excuses in already! :D

http://pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=101097&sid=57140c1181a678bf1bd76bf14611da9c

Indeed - WHAT A FARCE (they are)

Last edited:

andrew p long

Any Player that meets the current criteria (excluding Goalkeepers), includes those who:
•Have started the previous or following first team fixture;
•Are in the top 10 players at the club for starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions for season;
•Have made 40 or more first team appearances in their career;
•Are on loan from either a Premier League or Category 1 Academy Club. [/B]

Also

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39895497

"Third-tier and fourth-tier clubs are now able to choose any goalkeeper and only four starting outfield players now have to be "qualifying first-team players"[/B

So we can play almost all kids. The two WBA lads are eligible. Plus TAH and say Holmes or Simpson if fit and there you are.

Thanks, JW. As you say we can basically do what we like with those rules and our current squad. I think there's quite a few knocking on the door, and also fringe players, who could do with the game time. For any automatic first choice player it would be part of 5 games in 15 days. I'd go

Hamon
Wilson TAH Croll Moxey
Sparkes Byrne Boateng Edwards
Jay McAlinden

Terryhall

Hope our reserves win ,pocket the prize money and don't get any injuries.
100% agree with this. Disagree with the competition but we are in it for better or worse, we might as well make the most out of it (to the tune of 10k per game) if we can.

rp42

Who writes for Devon live as this is what they posted(facepalm) http://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/least-anticipated-devon-derby-ever-564626 EXETER CITY 1 MORECAMBE 4: IN PICTURES (ALL PICTURES PINNACLE)

Last edited:

Slogger

I really can't see why any club should be allowed to field an inferior team for any competion/cup, fans buy there ticket and often travel to support there team and should be shown the same level of support, I can obviously see why clubs would choose to do so but a season is base on more than just the league, unless they want to offer it for free.

Spoonz Red E

I really can't see why any club should be allowed to field an inferior team for any competion/cup, fans buy there ticket and often travel to support there team and should be shown the same level of support, I can obviously see why clubs would choose to do so but a season is base on more than just the league, unless they want to offer it for free.
The prices are lower to reflect the nature of the game.
£10 Adults; £8 Seniors/Young Adults; £5 under 18s

Jazzi

I really can't see why any club should be allowed to field an inferior team for any competion/cup/QUOTE]

Inferior/different. Name a team to win - let us see!