• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC V Oldham matchday thread

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Started off really well but i think that was just because Oldham didn't get out of the blocks.

Bit down hill from there. It was the same old story with the strikers not looking anywhere near likely to score but then there wasn't much in the way of quality service. I thought that Dunne and Sercombe were playing a bit too deep, possibly to allow Harley to be a little more attacking and creative (which he wasn't). For all of their bombing down the wings, neither Tully nor Golbourne are capable of putting in consistently good crosses.

Harley shouldn't have taken the second penalty. Having the same person taking two puts too many doubts in their mind; should i put it in the same place or somewhere else? The more you have to think about taking a penalty, the more likely you are to make a mess of it. That said, i suppose if the keeper had gone the other way...

Really can't work out if Haber is any good. He always seems to be just a fraction behind the game but then will produce a nice little lay off.

Didn't think much of the substitutes. The wrong people brought on at the wrong times.

Finally, George didn't put a foot wrong all game.

In summary, nobody played badly, we just didn't play very well.

Last edited:

Banksy

Trying to ignore the gutting disappointment of a pen miss, were we any better than against Stockport and Brighton then?
A little , but if you accept that the only goal we've scored in over 300 minutes of play ( can't be a***d to check the actual time , I'm too peed off after watching us again today ) is a penalty , that says it all. We made another good job of going backwards when we needed to go forwards and if I was a betting man I'd bet the farm on us going down. Even Haber and Friend couldn't lift us enough and they did their best. Stanno ran and ran and ran and end result nix.Can't see what rabbits Tis can pull out of the hat now , we've got to actually score to win games but nobody's told the players that , maybe it's just our negative style and everyone's cottoned on to it. One goal by the opposition is usually enough to finish us off one way or the other and they know that's all they've got to do now.

Cravat

Yeah, we started very brightly and it's a real shame we didn't get an early goal.

I thought the team were much improved but the result is very disappointing. I think we were the better team, just about, and the penalty miss was a real blow. Personally, I would have had someone else take it, as I think the pyschology favours the goalkeeper on a second penalty. Oh well.

I think I'd also rather have seen Fleets come on and test that big defender of theirs rather than Logan.

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here we go Tis:

"A point gained!"
Please please lord God don't tell me he said that!

exwick1

Dear Tis' Harley was not booed for missing the penalty when awarded the man of the match ,he was booed for being slow,negative & generally lazy in the execution of his passes which often played his teammates into trouble.

Cravat

Finally, George didn't put a foot wrong all game.

I thought he made a few errors but made up for everyone of them. Great to have him back.

Disappointed with the fans around me. Abusing Sercombe throughout the game, called Harley all the names under the sun all game, even after he scored the first penalty.

Macca

At least we got to see a championship winning side on the pitch today... Albeit at half time How I'd love to have danny bailey and dazza back in a city shirt.

Grecian_Jay

Just back and usual completely pis$ed off. Completely toothless up front with no chances and not even looking like scoring. Midfeild as shocking as usual and back 4 average.

Oldham were terrible today and will probably go down along with us. I still had a little hope we could stay up but not now. Everything you need in a football team are missing - Pace, drive, grit, determination, flair, creativity, width etc.

If it wasn't for the ref then we would have got nothing again.

And Harley - When you take 1 penalty poorly and get lucky, put your laces through the next 1 because the keeper is always going to dive the way the 1st one went.

come on tisdale lets get moxey back on loan! :)
In my opinion I think Golborne is twice the player that Moxey was.

bazza1953

Well I'll in my pennyworth. We starrted brightly but seem to run out of ideas. The midfield was not at the races and seemed not to want to link up with teh front men.

Steve Tully and Goldbourne didnt get to the byline enough and the quality into the strikers was poor. We are lacking in confidence and again i cant see it in teh sqaud. dont blame strikers who have to run arounde veryhwere and then not be in the box.

I have to say I am running out of pateience with PT as he seems clueless how to motivate this group and unless we act quackly to get some expereince in (a ball winner and a yes winger, we wont stay up. On teh HArley miss, well, his shape and general lacksidasical attitude and negativity should stip him from even taking penalties.