• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Cambridge Official match day thread

David Treharne

City profligate in the first half, had several chances that they didn't manage to put away. Thought that with wind advantage in the second half that we'd score at least another couple of goals. Putting Harley on reduced the urgency to get the ball forward, but there was some good defending, especially from Brown and Sweeney, who although not the right back that several of us crave put in a good defensive shift. Once we get the attack sorted out I think the wins will come (please don't quote me around December on this!) Macalinden looks promising and we didn't see Lee Holmes, who I though would have been a better substitution than Harley. It was a game of two contrasting styles. Cambridge were big and physical, and especially in the first half we tried to play football. I'd like to know who does the BBC stats as they seem to bear no relation to the game I watched this afternoon. Finally, what a relief not to have to wait 'til December for a home win. A win is a win is a win.

WXF

Thats harsh. A couple of wayward clearances, one of which went halfway back the OG. He had a reasonable game, and his timing off his line for through balls to forwards was excellent. Get your torso across the likely path of a shot and you'll block it every time. Two excellent examples late on.
Did you just complement our goal keeper and defend them from unwarranted criticism? You feeling alright Pete?

Very happy with the 3 points and always good for a striker to get a goal early on and clean sheet for defence.

Take the 3 points and on to the next game.

Pobbop

Someone said on the "stronger or weaker" thread better defence much weaker attack we'll struggle, but in the end you have a strong defence you have a base for everything good, it's what we often lack. The thing with Brown, Sweeney, Moore-taylor, Tillson, even Woodman lately is they throw their body whole-heartedly into actually keeping the ball out of the net, which ya know is a good thing, the amount of last ditch challenges and blocks have gone up massively this last 9 months or so.

With Wheeler, Liam, Reuben we really do have enough to sneak enough goals if we aint letting them in the other end.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
3 welcome points.
First half we looked comfortable, don't know why their defender handled as Wheels would never have scored from there but hey ho! We had other chances and Jamestown missed a good chance from an excellent move. Happy at half time, City playing well in the sunshine.
Second half started with three or four good chances. As we tired we sank back and during our good spell last season we'd have brought on players capable of breaking out at speed this time Tis brought on Harley and Brunt, we couldn't get out of our half and the last 20 mins were far more uncomfortable than it should have been. Defence was superb and Sweeny played a blinder!

IndoMike

Good to hear that Sweeney played well. We really need him to be strong at right back.

Steve H

Not a bad opening game.... some still look a bit ring rusty but a few games should sort that
Thought we coped admirably with a barrage of long balls to two huge centre forwards and that bodes well for some of the other physical teams we will come up against

I have to say Sweeney was excellent defensively today. He may not be as attack minded as Stacey but I would rather a right back does the defensive part of his job first

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Pete Martin (CTID)

Early doors, but I thought we were decent today. We don't have much of a record of opening day wins and we were one of only two L2 clubs to keep a clean sheet. Could easily have had four in the first half, but that's football. Onwards and upwards.

Red Devon

Looked two good sides to me...with City missing two or three good chances to make the game a lot more comfortable than it was, plenty to be optimistic about with Liam, Sweeney and Reid particularly impressing.