• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Brighton Matchday thread

DevonSent

Very very disappointed with that. Games like that need to be won. Appeared to create enough to be well out of sight before that sucker punch.

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
........need to be more clinical....
Very much so. Only one (very lucky) goal in the last three league games.

LL

Phil Long

Very very disappointed with that. Games like that need to be won. Appeared to create enough to be well out of sight before that sucker punch.
Plenty of chances created in the games I've seen this season - but way to few converted.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well that has ruined my weekend.

Brighton shows City how to be clinical.
Don't let it. We're on a bad run at the moment, Tis needs to find a way out of it. Having strikers that will put the ball away will help.

ecfctis

Well, there we are then, still not worried all you optimists!
City are still very much lacking the killer to survive this league without a struggle., as much as I hate to say it!

citizen33

The frustrating thing is that we have had the chances to win in each of the last three defeats. I agree about the lack of a finisher, but worryingly the defence has also looked a bit wobbly. We're very close to being a good side but these defeats are really hurting us.

Phil Long

The frustrating thing is that we have had the chances to win in each of the last three defeats. I agree about the lack of a finisher, but worryingly the defence has also looked a bit wobbly. We're very close to being a good side but these defeats are really hurting us.
Agreed, but I think a striker is more crucial - after all, you don't win matches just by preventing the opposition scoring. We need to be getting goals... and missing a penalty at that point in today's match is very poor indeed.

Grecian2K

Just got back.
Funking inept crap...end of.

Despite lots of pretty pretty patty-ball football can't remember their keeper having a real shot to save - not even the penalty (I've seen back-passes hit with more venom) and Stanno's 'one -on -one' was more a smother than a save.

Now, just can't wait for Monday's E&E to read Tis's (or which ever increasinly hapless minion the task is delegated to THIS week) 'purple prose' about what a brilliant footballing performance it was/how unlucky we were/how we were robbed etc etc. :(

Against a Brighton side so poor that they could hardly believe their good fortune in the 91st minute we still managed to create f*ck all!

On this form, the trapdoor back to L2 begins to beckon alarmingly.

On the way back from MK last week, a well-respected ExeWebber (not to mention "tour guide") said he'd never felt so 'flat' after a game - I'd respectfully suggest today's (non)-performance actually tops that. :(

Sorry for the rant but I'm an extremely disillusioned (not to mention soggy) G2k at the moment.

Joshyd123

Well, that goal gave us all we deserved for **** assing around in midfield with the ball for too long on too many occasions again. Not enough chances created from open play and then we chuck it away at the last.

Stanno's one-on-one effort was tame and easily saved and Stewart's penalty was simply embarrassing. Was there any need to stutter during the run up? Why didn't he put some power behind the shot? Summed up a very poor performance on Marcus's side, wouldn't mind if he was relegated to the bench again as he was on Tuesday night.

Troy and Matty T were absolute rocks at the back, but that makes you ask the question as to why Matty T hasn't been pushed to left centre back, allowing Troy in at right centre back, at a previous time during the season? Troy's performance today was evidence that he's head and shoulders above Seaborne's level and I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to renew his loan contract if Tisdale were to make another enquiry. The MOTM award was rightly deserved for a fantastic performance.

Harley was surprisingly poor by his recent standards today, took about 3 touches too many every time he had the ball in an attacking position and, more often than not, picked out the wrong pass, or made the wrong decision, along with Russell and Bertie by knobbing the ball side-to-side rather than forwards.

Corr and Fleetwood were disappointing up top today. Although Corr had a couple of decent touches and flick ons in the first half, he looked weak when holding the ball up and weak in the tackle. Fleets ran and ran all game but did little else.

Would love to hear Tisdale's thoughts of the game, because it's so obvious that all he is going to say is how we were robbed and that we put in a brilliant performance yet again, although we were very poor overall and we seriously need to improve in the next game, or we'd be on the wrong end of the scoreline once again.

Last edited:

StixUK

Just got back.
Funking inept crap...end of.

Despite lots of pretty pretty patty-ball football can't remember their keeper having a real shot to save - not even the penalty (I've seen back-passes hit with more venom) and Stanno's 'one -on -one' was more a smother than a save.

Now, just can't wait for Monday's E&E to read Tis's (or which ever increasinly hapless minion the task is delegated to THIS week) 'purple prose' about what a brilliant footballing performance it was/how unlucky we were/how we were robbed etc etc. :(

Against a Brighton side so poor that they could hardly believe their good fortune in the 91st minute we still managed to create f*ck all!

On this form, the trapdoor back to L2 begins to beckon alarmingly.

On the way back from MK last week, a well-respected ExeWebber (not to mention "tour guide") said he'd never felt so 'flat' after a game - I'd respectfully suggest today's (non)-performance actually tops that. :(

Sorry for the rant but I'm an extremely disillusioned (not to mention soggy) G2k at the moment.
Just come back from the bank and I hate to say that I agree - every home match I see there is a real tendency to just let the other team run with the ball and have time to create magical moments whilst we hope for the odd rebound or lucky tackle that breaks our way.

Need a couple of changes to the team in my opinion.

Fleety does a lot of running and I think is fantastic but doesn't get the service from the midfield. He should stay upfront with Corr.

Logan or Stanno should play a holding role in the Attacking midfield position and replace Stewarse who is just too slow for the game now and tires easily but still manages 90mins...may have been worth 3.5m at one point but at 38 I can't see his contract being renewed at the end of the season.

Why don't we have James Dunne down a wing because Stewarse can't see the vision to run down the wing that often and Scotty can't provide someone that cuts back and inside instead of running and running and running.

There's my £15 worth...a drab performance against a lower team..bad loss.

Gus Poyet must be pushing the right buttons...that is Southampton and Brighton to keep eyes on below us!!