• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC Transfers, in/outs Summer of 2018

Dubai Grecian

Are we expecting anymore transfer dealings? Priorities being?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Decision to be made on Jimmy Oates in the next couple of days according to this - https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/manager-matt-taylor-tell-jimmy-1805787

Temporarily Exiled

They May not have clocked up a lot of games, but Wilson, JMT and Storey were 3 of the top five or six players for us last year (With Pym, Stockley and Boateng). Need to add more in those areas, I'd say...
That's extremely harsh on Jake Taylor.

Number13

This Hereford guy isn't filling me with much confidence but admittedly that is based purely on Exeweb chatter.

As I see it if anything happens to Martin, Brown or Stockley we could be up ****s creek.
I thought the Exeweb chatter had him as quite useful? Either way, I assume he's back up for Sweeney who was good last year at RB (not sure he'd be a great RWB tho)

As for whether we'd be up the creek without those three, Croll would be fine with a run of games to cover for one of them and most teams in L2 would suffer if their 20+ goal striker was crocked!!!! What do you want us to do, pay the wages of another to sit on the bench in case? And which 20+ goal striker is going to come knowing Stockley is No1? That Rooney guy? No, wait, he wants £4k a week

We are Exeter; we'll have a competent squad that will be susceptible to injuries to key men like any other L2 side.............

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Decision to be made on Jimmy Oates in the next couple of days according to this - https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/manager-matt-taylor-tell-jimmy-1805787
Surely Taylor has seen enough of Oates to make a decision and not need to think about it for 24/48 hrs. He speaks highly of him in that article so one could presume he's keen to sign him. I just wonder if Taylor is waiting to hear on another player before committing to Oates.

D__Lo__

I thought the Exeweb chatter had him as quite useful? Either way, I assume he's back up for Sweeney who was good last year at RB (not sure he'd be a great RWB tho)

As for whether we'd be up the creek without those three, Croll would be fine with a run of games to cover for one of them and most teams in L2 would suffer if their 20+ goal striker was crocked!!!! What do you want us to do, pay the wages of another to sit on the bench in case? And which 20+ goal striker is going to come knowing Stockley is No1? That Rooney guy? No, wait, he wants £4k a week

We are Exeter; we'll have a competent squad that will be susceptible to injuries to key men like any other L2 side.............
Sweeney has exceeded my expectations but for 3/4 seasons I have been hoping for a natural right-back, able to offer much more of an attacking impetus. In fairness we did get Wilson last year but IMO he was under-used. This season, I continue hoping...

In terms of Oates I'd say the majority of analysis has bordered on average/apathetic. Based on this I'd prefer we pursue other options as promotion candidates. However I haven't seen him play at all so maybe I'm completely wrong.

I honestly wish I shared everyone's confidence in Croll but I can't say I do, at least not to the same level. History tells us 3rd choice CB will get at least 20 games so needs to be a consistent performer. Brown's injury record is known, we can't surely assume Martin is going to feature in every game either. So it could even be argued that 4th choice will get good minutes. Much like say TAH last season and/or when Croll/Moxey filled in. Or when Storey was brought in initially out of necessity too. No doubt in my mind, we are light at CB, I don't feel that is remotely controversial but each to their own. I admire the confidence.

IMO we can compete for play-offs, even automatics at a push this season, hopefully a lot of people agree. Of the teams I expect to be around us, we are weaker than quite a few in the striking department. Now plenty are 'bigger' teams, bigger budgets, newly relegated etc. sure. I even concede an inevitability of some over-reliance on a player of Stockley's ability at this level too, of course. However I'm ambitious. With the players that have left and all the sells in recent seasons, surely there's room in the budget for a really good 'secondary' striker.

I have no problem with the Forte signing, he offers pace which we need. Where he is used could be debated but even if I accept he's an out and out striker (which I don't) I'm not convinced he's going to get 10 goals this season (based on his record he's done this once in his career). To be totally clear good rotational option, I'm not 'blasting' him. The only difference maybe, is I don't want him to be a guaranteed starter if anyone does believe that is the case, maybe they don't.

Talking about opposing clubs might not be welcome or appropriate here but I'll persist to illustrate my point...

Like I said in the prediction thread I feel Bury could fall into the same category as us re. Beckford, assuming they keep him even Oldham with Baxter atm too. Swindon, Colchester no better than us either (for balance to show I'm not just criticising City aimlessly, if at all, I don't believe it's 'criticising'). I do expect some of them to strengthen further but that's neither here nor there. However I feel we can and should be comparing ourselves to the better teams. So... Lincoln have stronger options if say they lose Akinde, Notts Co. good options if they lose Dennis/Hemmings, Northampton have more than Van Veen/Morais, Mansfield Davies and Rose.

I reiterate my point re. budgets, status etc. I accept all that but surely we have £1500 a week for another striker? Maybe we don't... but we've let go of and sold quite a few so I'd be inclined to ask why not.

As it stands the balance of the reliance on Stockley is probably too much.

I thought the general consensus was 4-4-2 was the likely formation this season so why would my suggestion need to sit on the bench? Maybe they can operate as an inside forward option as well as a more orthodox striker? I'm certainly not suggesting a quasi-Stockley. Someone to compliment him starting alongside, not a back-up.

Bringing up Rooney & £4k a week is a bit petty tbh. Completely irrelevant. No one is suggesting we should be operating within that market, he's on League One wages (at least). I've specified above the type of wages I think is realistic for clarity if you really need it. So please do me the courtesy of not ridiculing/misrepresenting my posts again, thanks.

Hopefully my other posts here and elsewhere show I'm very optimistic about this season and the squad being put together. I merely describe some final hopes/finishing touches that I genuinely believe could be the difference between automatic promotion and missing the play-offs altogether due to the competitiveness of the league this season not just by looking at City in a bubble. Injuries could have even bigger implications than usual.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
D_Lo_, I disagree that we are too heavily reliant on Stockley. Last season we certainly were as the other strikers were Brunt (never played/injured), Simpson (never played/injured/crap), Jay (rarely played), McAlinden (rarely played). This season we actually have some support for Stockley in Forte and Abrahams who both have pace, as well as Jay who is a year older and IMO its now or never for him. So we are certainly stronger upfront.

I'm sure Taylor has more than enough left in the budget for another striker but do we really need one? 4 fit strikers should be enough.

We also have plenty of players who can play centre half. Martin, Brown, Croll, Tillson, Moxey, Sweeney, and whatever youngsters we have will see us through.

IMO we need another right sided full back, a winger, and a midfielder and we are all set to go.

D__Lo__

D_Lo_, I disagree that we are too heavily reliant on Stockley. Last season we certainly were as the other strikers were Brunt (never played/injured), Simpson (never played/injured/crap), Jay (rarely played), McAlinden (rarely played). This season we actually have some support for Stockley in Forte and Abrahams who both have pace, as well as Jay who is a year older and IMO its now or never for him. So we are certainly stronger upfront.

I'm sure Taylor has more than enough left in the budget for another striker but do we really need one? 4 fit strikers should be enough.

We also have plenty of players who can play centre half. Martin, Brown, Croll, Tillson, Moxey, Sweeney, and whatever youngsters we have will see us through.

IMO we need another right sided full back, a winger, and a midfielder and we are all set to go.
Fair enough we all have different opinions. I would say some may have featured more if they offered more and that we have been pretty fortunate with Stockley's fitness but I guess there's no reason why that, for want of a better word, 'fortune' can't continue. Abrahams and Jay are complete unknowns though, I'd prefer someone more proven. If we go 4-3-3, etc. then it definitely strengthens that/your argument though.

I've said more than enough so won't go into midfield other than I agree with a wide option if Forte is seen as key to the striking options.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fair enough we all have different opinions. I would say some may have featured more if they offered more and that we have been pretty fortunate with Stockley's fitness but I guess there's no reason why that, for want of a better word, 'fortune' can't continue. Abrahams and Jay are complete unknowns though, I'd prefer someone more proven. If we go 4-3-3, etc. then it definitely strengthens that/your argument though.

I've said more than enough so won't go into midfield other than I agree with a wide option if Forte is seen as key to the striking options.
Jay has not yet been able to consolidate a starting place yet but I don't think he can be classed as an unknown.

D__Lo__

Jay has not yet been able to consolidate a starting place yet but I don't think he can be classed as an unknown.
I didn't want to take over the thread as my other post was excessive. I typed it out quickly, there's a few things which could be misinterpreted, just plain wrong, I actually would like a right sided midfielder regardless of Forte or inappropriately placed (talk of last years striking options) my fault for rushing.

My evaluation of Jay is less positive than 'unknown' I try avoiding such language on this forum though.

Last edited: