• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC Transfers, in/outs Summer of 2016

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
it is good conduct by Dean Smith not to comment on another club's players.
Manager says to agent "I want Ollie Watkins, young lad at Exeter".

Agent says "why don't I peddle a story that you're interested in him, when you're asked for a quote you say 'he's under contract and it wouldn't be right for me to comment' so you look like the good guy, but in the meantime we have unsettled the player and you can then sign him when his agent contacts Brentford to see whether the rumour has legs".

Manager says "OK".

Avening Posse

Think he could do better frankly, expect there are others having a look

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bournemouth for one apparently! (from the same article)

Last edited:

TheBeeInHull

Think he could do better frankly, expect there are others having a look
Greetings Exeter fans. Bees fan in Hull here re Ollie Watkins.

I think he looks a great player and exactly the kind of signing we make and need right now.

We may be a small club but players joining us from lower division clubs know we are a successful stepping stone to bigger pay days (Andre Gray, Moses Odubajo, James Tarkowski, Stuart Dallas).

Also Watkins is out of contract next summer and we have first hand experience of what happens to "smaller" clubs in this situation after losing our left back and captain Jake Bidwell to QPR and goal keeper David Button to Fulham, all for bigger pay days. It was a case of they wouldn't sign a new contract and we'd rather get a decent fee now rather than lose them on a free next summer. I imagine your board will be thinking similar.

Also because of our track record of developing players to sell on for more, a transfer to us would inc a sell on fee which could net you more than the original fee if Watkins was Andre Gray success.

Anyhow. He looks a Fab player and I hope we can negotiate a good deal with yourselves soon.

Best of luck for your season ahead (except v us in the cup!)

Red Devon

Greetings Exeter fans. Bees fan in Hull here re Ollie Watkins.

I think he looks a great player and exactly the kind of signing we make and need right now.

We may be a small club but players joining us from lower division clubs know we are a successful stepping stone to bigger pay days (Andre Gray, Moses Odubajo, James Tarkowski, Stuart Dallas).

Also Watkins is out of contract next summer and we have first hand experience of what happens to "smaller" clubs in this situation after losing our left back and captain Jake Bidwell to QPR and goal keeper David Button to Fulham, all for bigger pay days. It was a case of they wouldn't sign a new contract and we'd rather get a decent fee now rather than lose them on a free next summer. I imagine your board will be thinking similar.

Also because of our track record of developing players to sell on for more, a transfer to us would inc a sell on fee which could net you more than the original fee if Watkins was Andre Gray success.

Anyhow. He looks a Fab player and I hope we can negotiate a good deal with yourselves soon.

Best of luck for your season ahead (except v us in the cup!)
He's a sensational player with terrific shooting ability and is only going to get better, could possibly do with a bit more pace though.

No offence but I think he'll go to a lot bigger club than Brentford.

fred binneys head

Maybe not immediately though - like the Bee says, maybe Brentford is the right step now, and then he can go to a bigger club afterwards - I don't think he would cope at a bigger club, he would be like Matty Grimes.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is he definitely out of contract in a year?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Echo reported he was believed to be contractedf to 2018 http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/paul-tisdale-pours-cold-water-prospect-ollie/story-29172841-detail/story.html Which if it is the case gives us two years

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Is he definitely out of contract in a year?
He is still only 20 so if he played a full season and went next summer it would go to a tribunal at worse. Would hope we would be looking for 1 million or close to it.

rp42

He is still only 20 so if he played a full season and went next summer it would go to a tribunal at worse. Would hope we would be looking for 1 million or close to it.
If Pogba(not in my eyes) is worth 100 million plus? then Ollie can't go for less than 2m surely?