• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC Conference Years - Good? Bad? Ugly?

I moved to Exeter just in time to see my first game and the first non-league match at St James' v Halifax 1-1. Was quietly impressed with everything about the club then and that has only increased continuously season-by-season since.

Not once have things been static or gone backwards in that time. The Conference was the making of this club and I don't believe ECFC would be anywhere near as well run or even going for the play-offs if it had stayed up way back when.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
We may have played at some tiny grounds against some very tiny clubs, but in a way that was a large part of the charm.
True, but I wouldn't class Torquay as charming...;)

greenawayr

If we get promoted why would Tisdale leave?
Sturtz, I'd love to think he is really here for the long term, and hopefully he will be.

But 2 consecutive promotions and the sort of profile that Tis has got is going to get him noticed by some BIG clubs. I could quite easily see a Prem club come sniffing around, and there is no way we can compete financially with that, and I would have no loss of respect for Tis if he were to accept such an offer.

Perhaps, finishing third would be our best chance of staying "under the radar" and not attracting attention to our prized asset.

bumble1976

Looking up optimistically...unless I get depressed
Great thread and so very true...

And, above all, going to the conference gave me the greatest footballing experience of my lifetime...I will never forget the atmosphere in the last 20 mins vs Torquay in the second leg of that play-off semi final. Just amazing and sends a shiver down my spine whenever I see those goals (or even think about it). Coupled with Oxford away the year before, it was a great experience.

I also 100% agree with the idea that the ST run club re-ignited my passion for City.

Grecian2K

Also brought back the "winning habit" - without the bible at hand to consult, prior to our 'holiday' in the Conf, had ANY City team managed top half of the table finishes (whatever the Division) for five seasons running?? (or SIX if you count 08-09 as well [y] :)

Tony Wizzz

In the Flybe (not in a suit) and having a beer and
Great thread and so very true...

And, above all, going to the conference gave me the greatest footballing experience of my lifetime...I will never forget the atmosphere in the last 20 mins vs Torquay in the second leg of that play-off semi final. Just amazing and sends a shiver down my spine whenever I see those goals (or even think about it). Coupled with Oxford away the year before, it was a great experience.

I also 100% agree with the idea that the ST run club re-ignited my passion for City.
Ditto, are you me in disguise?

UTC[ecfc]

iscalad

Ditto, are you me in disguise?

UTC[ecfc]
God help us if there are two of you. I must admit my interest lagged during the Geller period.

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
At first it felt awful, but I gradually got a perverse pleasure in annoying the lads at work with "Christ it's a big game against Canvey Island this week", and "hope we can knick a point at Leigh RMI" plus it spurred me to get over to more games, see a few more wins and write Confessions Of An Exeter City Nut/ One Flew Over The Crossbar.

High point - that amazing 3-2 win v Leigh with Devine's injury time goal.
Low point - getting soaked at home to Canvey and the worst performance in living
football history at Northwich.

Those five seasons of relegation, adminstration, possible 39 points deductions, near play-off misses, Michael Jackson, David Blaine & Uri, along with United and two Wembley play-offs saw us have more action then most clubs have in a lifetime.

Sturtz, I'd love to think he is really here for the long term, and hopefully he will be.

But 2 consecutive promotions and the sort of profile that Tis has got is going to get him noticed by some BIG clubs. I could quite easily see a Prem club come sniffing around, and there is no way we can compete financially with that, and I would have no loss of respect for Tis if he were to accept such an offer.

Perhaps, finishing third would be our best chance of staying "under the radar" and not attracting attention to our prized asset.

Also, even a half-decent Championship club that come-a-calling would probably treble, if not more, his wages. The man has ambition and can't see him being at Exeter beyond this Christmas, sadly. But bloody good luck to him and whichever club does come in for him are going to be very fortunate.

cameraman

I am drumming up interest ina box set of DVds of 'The Conference years'

I wonder how many are interested

Just a clip you may not have seen

http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr58/Videographer_2008/?action=view&current=ExeterUni-v-Reserves.flv