• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Drug Laws

Whiptonite

Resigned
Surely with all the talk of cuts in public spending, a sensible move would be to ditch this country's prohibition of drugs.

How any government can dictate what substances people are allowed to put into their own bodies is beyond me.

Legalise it all. Portugal did, and saw no rise in drug use or associated crime, and of course the police are freed up to tackle 'real' crimes i.e. crimes where there is a victim.

Discuss.

ecfc01

Surely with all the talk of cuts in public spending, a sensible move would be to ditch this country's prohibition of drugs.

How any government can dictate what substances people are allowed to put into their own bodies is beyond me.

Legalise it all. Portugal did, and saw no rise in drug use or associated crime, and of course the police are freed up to tackle 'real' crimes i.e. crimes where there is a victim.

Discuss.
very smart. Legalise class c Drugs and claim tax of them,

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
You'd think it was a no-brainer.

When California voted against legalisation last week, you could probably hear the cheers all the way down in Mexico and up in BC Canada where drug cartels and grow ups are probably around 1/5th of the total economy there.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
No argument from me, but I'd go further - state control the lot. Price is set, quality is controlled, the deficit just disappeared.

Whiptonite

Resigned
No argument from me, but I'd go further - state control the lot. Price is set, quality is controlled, the deficit just disappeared.
Philly Blunts - by appointment to His Majesty Prince Harry perhaps. I like it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

Discuss.
Portugal didn't legalise drugs. Actually.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always advocated a sensible discussion on legalising both drugs and prostitution. Probably regulated and taxed it might just work.

mfcrocker

Portugal didn't legalise drugs. Actually.
Decriminalisation isn't legalisation now?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Decriminalisation isn't legalisation now?
No it's not. There is a difference.

Portugal's change was to not make possession of small amounts illegal as long as the person in possession is an addict - and then if so the drugs are still confiscated and the possessor is sent on to rehab/community work.

Trafficking, large scale possession, possession if not an addict - still illegal.

mfcrocker

No it's not. There is a difference.

Portugal's change was to not make possession of small amounts illegal as long as the person in possession is an addict - and then if so the drugs are still confiscated and the possessor is sent on to rehab/community work.

Trafficking, large scale possession, possession if not an addict - still illegal.
Ah, my bad - didn't have the best source when reading up on it way back when. Still, to see that overall usage and HIV/AIDS infection rates fell after decriminalisation was introduced is encouraging, and shows that the "war on drugs" was lost a long time ago.

I'm aware my view on the subject is fairly extreme, but from a more moderate left standpoint, I wish the government would actually LISTEN to it's drug advisory board, instead of sacking it when it goes against policy. Little bit China-tastic for my liking.