• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do we need a new keeper or wot?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
This debate, not for the first time, just goes round and round.

Theres no such thing as a perfect keeper, or any other player for that matter, at any level, never mind L2.

We have 3 keepers on the books, we aren't going to be getting anyone else in.

Jones has made mistakes, so has Marriott. Jordan is an unknown to me but neither he nor Marriott is going to replace Jones as first choice, injury aside.

Put as much lipstick on it as you like or otherwise. It might not be what you want, but its what you're going to get. Then again, thats why we aren't in any position to influence or make decisions of this kind.

Red Lion

and he f*cked up in the play off semi last season - [/SIZE]
Hang on a minute, can no one remember how horribly short he was sold on the backpass that forced his mistake?

iscalad

Here ya go

Red Lion

Here ya go
Yeah, but he only looked good cos he had the great Russel Osman and John Wark playing in front of him!!

Red Lion

And Pele, Bobby Moore and that legendary footy player Michael Caine!

GozoGrecian

Resigned
After tonight's display from Gomes (spurs), I reckon he might be looking for some work!

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
We would need a new keeper if we hope to compete in league one, but PJ and AM are good enough for league two. I would definitely go for Marriott at the moment, my view hasnt changed, this is more because Marriott is more consistent IMO than anything else and is a lot more experienced, and IMO less prone to errors, which we are more likely to be punished for in league two than the conference

Antony Moxey

this is more because Marriott is more consistent IMO than anything else and is a lot more experienced,
So if Jones is to be on the bench and Marriott starts, how is Jones supposed to get experience?

first post

Part of the reason that Marriot was dropped last year not only for his series of blunders was that he had started to become routed to his line (as he did the last time he was dropped) and not come & claim crosses and corners. Whereas Jones is much better at doing this and continues to impress week in week out since he has been first choice.

I will agree that the Playoff final he came out alot and didnt always collect BUT I would imagine he was told to come and claim everything before the game because of the aerial threat of Cambridge.

Personally I dont mind who we have in goal as both Marriot and Jones have good and bad points and I would support either. Also I dont watch them train everyday at training. However what I would say is that I would rather have a player playing who is on rise in his career and is still learning and gaining experience than one that is on the downward slide.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I vowed not to get dragged into this debate, but I have a couple of other observations to make.

Firstly, have you noticed that keepers generally, from bottom to top, appear to make more mistakes than in the past? There is a very simple explanation for it. The ball. As recently as 10-15 years ago, the ball was heavy enough that when somebody hit it, it would move in the direction it was hit. It was only the very special players (such as Liam Brady) who could generate movement. Nowadays as soon as the ball is hit it swerves about all over the place, making life extremely difficult for the keeper. Heck, when even I can be very adept at making the ball fizz round corners there must be something wrong! I'd like to see many of the names mentioned above, rightly lauded as decent keepers, cope with today's ball.

Secondly...actually, no I can't be bothered. Jonesy > Marriott in almost every department. All I'll say.