• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do we have a supportive City Council?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ok yes I take your point. One can only hope that the Liverpool game will showcase the City a bit more and start to tilt the balance away from the Chiefs.

Avening Posse

There's a difference between a financial decision made by the whole of the Council and one made by the planning committee. If one made by the latter is not made on planning grounds the threat of judicial review is very real
Sounds like the St James group have threatened to seek a judicial review if approved already, they said "using law" in their recent newsletter or words to that effect, if the bit in the neighbourhood plan related to balanced communities is not adhered to

denzel

Sounds like the St James group have threatened to seek a judicial review if approved already, they said "using law" in their recent newsletter or words to that effect, if the bit in the neighbourhood plan related to balanced communities is not adhered to
Seems a bit presumptuous. They'd have to prove that the officers report or committee decision was negligent in this respect. If the report stated reasons why it could be approved despite not being in fully accordance with the plan, any JR would fail on that basis.
Plus they need a wealthy individual/s to fund any JR..

Avening Posse

Seems a bit presumptuous. They'd have to prove that the officers report or committee decision was negligent in this respect. If the report stated reasons why it could be approved despite not being in fully accordance with the plan, any JR would fail on that basis.
Plus they need a wealthy individual/s to fund any JR..
Agreed, but may not stop them

Grecian2K

That's the trouble with ECC (& DCC) these days.....too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

(And there had me been naively thinking that the point of bringing Chuckles Chorlton and his cronies on board had been to schmooze the wheels of Local Government :( ....what a waste of boardroom seat(s))?

uncle buck

I see another 153 student flats have been given the go ahead in the echo .I just think that by the time our application gets heard the council will decide that enough accommodation has been granted for students and turn the bid down anyway watch this space

Andy Holloway

I see another 153 student flats have been given the go ahead in the echo .I just think that by the time our application gets heard the council will decide that enough accommodation has been granted for students and turn the bid down anyway watch this space
Given the speed with which Exeter University is expanding, this number is a 'drop in the ocean' on what it required.

I was speaking to a couple of 4th year Students who were setting up for the Uni Carol service at SJP and asked them what were their 3 most important criteria for accommodation. Their No 1 criteria was distance to campus, no more than 10/15 minute walk - 'a tick for SJP'; Next was affordability - 'no idea of projected costs' and 3rd was quality of facilities - 'a definite there, if only because it will be new'!
They also mentioned the number of overseas students who come to Exeter and do not go home at all throughout the academic year. These young ones have parents who can afford slightly higher rents than possibly UK based students and do not want them living in 'the gettos' [their description of Victoria Rd and similar areas of 'student land' not mine!] Student blocks are also attractive to a lot of Students because of the Security/Safety factors that a 'gated community' offers.

They were also unaware that there was a plan in the pipeline for 350 student flats to be built at SJP/Yeo&Davy, but thought they would be popular for the distance criteria.

Only a 'straw poll' but nonetheless interesting to hear things from 'the horses' mouth so to speak.

hatch4england

Methinks the City Council's purse strings will be more than fully kept shut for anything other than their wonderful white elephant swimming complex: I look forward to the massive rates increase to fund it and then continuing rises as their predictions of profitable trading come to naught.

uncle buck

Given the speed with which Exeter University is expanding, this number is a 'drop in the ocean' on what it required.

I was speaking to a couple of 4th year Students who were setting up for the Uni Carol service at SJP and asked them what were their 3 most important criteria for accommodation. Their No 1 criteria was distance to campus, no more than 10/15 minute walk - 'a tick for SJP'; Next was affordability - 'no idea of projected costs' and 3rd was quality of facilities - 'a definite there, if only because it will be new'!
They also mentioned the number of overseas students who come to Exeter and do not go home at all throughout the academic year. These young ones have parents who can afford slightly higher rents than possibly UK based students and do not want them living in 'the gettos' [their description of Victoria Rd and similar areas of 'student land' not mine!] Student blocks are also attractive to a lot of Students because of the Security/Safety factors that a 'gated community' offers.

They were also unaware that there was a plan in the pipeline for 350 student flats to be built at SJP/Yeo&Davy, but thought they would be popular for the distance criteria.

Only a 'straw poll' but nonetheless interesting to hear things from 'the horses' mouth so to speak.
Really hope your right but the thing that really worries me is the lack of enthusiasm the council seem to have in everything Exeter city fc that I wouldn't be surprised if they vote in favour of the residents objections

Avening Posse

Some councils have planning committee meetings streamed live on the Internet. Does anybody know if this happens in Exeter ?