• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do our mega rich celeb fans put any money into the club

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Doesn't exeweb stalwart, Grecian Lez, play the guitar?

This I think has real potential and the economics could be even better than suggested. I would guess capacity could be 10,000 for a summer gig at St James Park, with the stage on the away end and the pitch covered with temporary boarding. A sunday afternoon gig involving even 2 of those three could sell for £35-40 a pop and sell out quite easily. The problem would be finding a slot in their schedules.

If permission couldn't be secured at SJP then the alternative would be Westpoint (capacity 7,500 standing or 6,500 seated), or maybe even Sandy Park, but venue hire costs would take a big bite out of the gross.

Even a lower-key gig with solo slots from Chris Martin and Joss Stone and maybe Show of Hands to open would be a major draw.

We obviously have contacts with Joss Stone now; does anyone at City know Chris Martin or his mum personally?
Yeah I must admit I was being a bit reserved with the ticket prices as I know from very recent experience that if you get the right act on you could easily charge the £35-£40 ticket price you mention. I have just shelled out £65 a ticket for my girlfriend to see a Olly Murs gig as her Christmas present so for 2 genuine world class A List bands to play and get in for £35-£40 seems like good value to me....

I have never met him, but I get the impression Liam Tancock would give the club a load of money if he was as wealthy as a big name pop star.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Coldplay are due to play at +o( La Parc des Gnomes +o( sometime next spring.

If this is so, I predict that they'll win 3-0!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure I've read somewhere that Coldplay are due to play at +o( La Parc des Gnomes +o( sometime next spring.

If this is so, I predict that they'll win 3-0!
Just a rumour I suspect - nothing on their website between end Dec and late May when they start a round of football club gigs but not Gnome Park so far.

http://www.coldplay.com/live.php

teign_grecian

Sadly, Muse are NOT City fans.
Chris (bass) is an avid Rotherham fan, and both Matt (frontman) and Dom (drummer) do not even like football.

Garethecfc

I think that it has potential mate, if you could put a gig on with Muse and Coldplay both playing with Joss Stone supporting them and Ade Edmondson comparing it you would sell 10'000 + tickets easily in a matter of only a couple of days. Selling them at only £20 a pop gives you £200k + food and drink on top. Also programmes with adverts and sponsorship in it etc, etc could mean that it would make one heck of a difference to the Trust/Club, in fact it would bring in more than 2 years worth of trust contributions to the club.... Give a cut of it to some local charities etc as well and you could have a well rounded event.

Getting them all to actually do it and do it for free would be the hard part obviously, although that is where the charity bit would hopefully hold some water with them.
never happening

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly, Muse are NOT City fans.
Chris (bass) is an avid Rotherham fan, and both Matt (frontman) and Dom (drummer) do not even like football.
No doubt RtP will be along in a bit to say whoosh.

Thames Valley Red

What about 'Hoosiers' their drummer is a Grecian, said so in the past and goes to matches away.

Red the Paper

Banned
No doubt RtP will be along in a bit to say whoosh.
No woosh from me.

In an NME article some years ago he was asked who he supported and he is quoted as saying Exeter City. This is Matt Bellamy. Not just any old Matt from Teignmouth.

In addition Matt Bellamy has all his guitars custom made by Mansons Guitar Shop in Exeter and as such is a huge supporter of the City of Exeter. For dyslexics this is Exeter City.

I make them more City fans than lil mis Cokehead or Chris Martin.

Liam Tancock is indeed a City fan, however I doubt a wealthy one, unless he happens to come across some buried treasure whilst out swimming