• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Digital Blackface

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Political correctness going too far??

or is she spot on??

[video=youtube;Cyq6fTYxztc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq6fTYxztc[/video]

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
In reality this is a complex problem which should not be a complex problem. It involves identity, racism, and indeed political correctness. In theory, considering humanity is made up of people of many colours and shades, it shouldn't be a problem to use an emoji of any colour. But if I used a black emoji (for example)
on Exeweb some people might think I was rejecting my own race, or being too hip or politically correct, or even patronizing - as the speaker suggested. My wife is Indonesian and even she asked me why I had sent a coloured thumbs up emoji to her! I guess sooner or later we will reach a stage where we just won't refer to a person's color at all : hopefully it will happen sooner, but we can't deny that a person's identity runs deep (look at how we identify with our football clubs : love City and hate Argyle?), with our cities, with our counties, with our nations..