• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Diane Abbott MP....Racist?

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
He was incredibly racist
Ah, the old semantics.

'Incredibly racist'? You'd probably describe Dopey Diane and Big Ron's dumb utterances in a similar vein. How would you describe the behaviour of Norris and Dobson?

FFS. 'celebrities', 'legends', 'heroes', and 'racists'..terms thrown around like confetti these days. Words have lost their true meaning, nobody earns a title any more. Hurrumph.

Heard people say they'd love to jump out of a fully serviceable aircraft one day, doesn't make them parachutists.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Ah, the old semantics.

'Incredibly racist'? You'd probably describe Dopey Diane and Big Ron's dumb utterances in a similar vein. How would you describe the behaviour of Norris and Dobson?

FFS. 'celebrities', 'legends', 'heroes', and 'racists'..terms thrown around like confetti these days. Words have lost their true meaning, nobody earns a title any more. Hurrumph.

Heard people say they'd love to jump out of a fully serviceable aircraft one day, doesn't make them parachutists.
Pretty sure if you kick someone "because they are black" you are a racist. Not much to semantically argue about there.

elginCity

Pretty sure if you kick someone "because they are black" you are a racist.
If that was the case, then you would be.

Suarez didn't kick Evra because he was black, he was 'sledging'. The FA, Liverpool, Glen Johnson and even Evra himself have all accepted that, as have many others including the Uruguayans who are bemused by it all.

If Suarez was judged to have been a racist, he'd have been kicked out of the game, and rightly so.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Suarez didn't kick Evra because he was black, he was 'sledging'.
Do you consider racially-orientated 'sledging' OK? If so, why?

elginCity

Do you consider racially-orientated 'sledging' OK? If so, why?
Depends whether it's good-humoured, or not.

argylepaul

There's so much to cover in my response to spacko, but I will try, as I try and get it done before that huge Peterborough Sunderland cup match - huge for them anyway. Great result for Argyle yesterday. Braintree here we come!

Funny you say the word 'Pot kettle black'. Hilariously on Talksport, and being all PC, Ray Stubbs called it "Pot disagreeing with the kettle', or something like that, as he was scared stiff of saying the wrong thing.
An attitude like that is wrong, and I hate the way the way this country treads on egg shells when it comes to the question of race.
On the subject of it, I would call myself a bigot (and nothing more). I will cross the road to confront a white man abusing a black or Asian man, but I object to the mass UK immigration by what is obstensibly poor, third world people from Africa and Asia. It's not them I blame - you can't blame them - it's human nature, but I blame Labour for their policies in govt, and what they have done, has virtually destroyed this country. We are a small island, that simply will not be able to sustain a 70 or 80 million plus population. We are not the size of Germany, and neither are we their economic equivalent. So, we are going to be a trouble.
It has and will put a huge, huge strain on social and medical services. It puts pressure on our housing stock, and on our schools, roads and transport infrastructure, and it will see a simmering rise in racial tension, and social incohesion. Parts of where I live, are ghettoised. It is as simple as that. The government should be getting out and about, and getting to grips as to why it has got to this. It is no use to anybody.
To say that immigration brings economic benefits to the UK, is well meant, but it is inaccurate. True, there are many skilled immigrants who pay the top rate of tax, but for every one of them, there are maybe 6 who get paid the minimum wage, and send most of it back home. Others work in the grey economy, and contribute nothing, while others still, do no work whatsoever, and let the State take the strain.
We should be getting indigenous white and ethnic people off their arses to do the crap jobs. I have been here before with this, but I come back to it, because these are the salient points.

I did not say that black people should be happy with their lot. What I said, was they have come along way from even 10 years ago. Attitudes to race are improving vastly in this country, but a rise in immigration,and the enormous rises in population (and the small island pressures from therein), will do little for the harmony that we all want and expect.
There will always be isolated pockets of racism in this country (from all racial sectors). We will never get away from that, just as you will never get a truly lasting peace in Northern Ireland, or one between Israel and Palestine, even if they signed an accord tomorrow: somebody will always be unhappy, and be prepared to show what they think.
As regards blacks ' continuing to make noise' until they get equality. Well, they are equal. Representation is far better for them now, and considering their percentage make-up, they are faring very well overall.
If you were to do a cover shoot for a council magazine for say, Hackney, it should represent the make-up of people that live there. Maybe 6 or 7 would be ethnic faces. If you took that in the UK as a whole, it would be 2 out of 10, yet, Blacks get fair representation on TV for instance. They are cast in all the major TV dramas now, even when the casting for the role is a bit questionable. Just why is Lenny Henry still being roled out buy the BBC? He is not, and has never even been funny, yet he must have a hold on them, to be still an anchor to their comedy programmes. Is it because he is black, or because he is talented, and dynamic?

The white liberal PC brigade do really seem to be doing the right thing, which only makes the situation worse. It's patronising for a black man, and infuriating for people like me...and many millions like me.
I hate PC for anything...not just when it comes to questions of race, and 'overdoing it'.
Diane Abbott isn't the most talented politician, and has clearly been fast-tracked to a cabinet role, when all she is,is a backbencher, at best. If she were white, she would be a dissenting voice with the whip taken away from her.
She will never aspire to much politically, if it is based on merit. Would you send her out as a Foreign envoy, for instance?
That the Twitter furore has died down, is indicative of her skin colour, as clearly, if she were white, she would have been at least suspended by now. What she said was outrageous, and racist, because it generalised all white people as having a 19th century colonial attitude.
Blacks and Asian have roughly 28 MPs, which I think is a pretty decent tally. It needs to be more, to reflect the make-up of this country, and I am sure it will. But, there should be no absurd fast-tracking, as there seems to be in the USA. We don't have a history of slavery, containment and segregation to shift from our conscience, with some hair-brained PC scheme.
People should get important posts and roles in society, based on merit and ability - not on their skin colour. If you want an example of a black politician, who is destined for the top (based on obvious quality), it is Chuka Umunna, the Labour Streatham MP. Forget notions of David Lammy being Prime Minister material (as some mentioned when Obama was elected) - that is a farcical suggestion. Watch the heights that Umunna can aspire too, if Labour can ever be trusted again...and they shouldn't (theyt have done too much damage for that!). Think irreversible debt and immigration.
Politicians are scared of Abbott. She is a firebrand, who will use the race card if she knows she can. She proved that when she used Twitter last week. As I said, she is not going away, and neither will the subject of race.

Willy Nilly

Not racist and, as a white man in the UK, I could never be offended by any racist comment made towards me. I'd just laugh if someone called me a 'cracker' or a 'f*cking white boy' or something.

Willy Nilly

Depends whether it's good-humoured, or not.
I don't think called someone 'Blacky, blacky, blacky' and pinching them after a confrontation can be good-humoured.

Defending Suarez's behaviour is moronic.

It's well known that Argentine and Uruguayan players playing in the Braziian league racially abuse Brazilian footballers, referring to them as 'little monkeys' and they know exactly what they're doing.

Suarez's defence is b*ll*cks.

Red the Paper

Banned

Suarez's defence is b*ll*cks.
Better to be used in attack

angelic upstart

but I blame Labour for their policies in govt, and what they have done, has virtually destroyed this country.
Just out of interest what did Labour do so different to the Conservatives under Thatcher and Major?

I'd imagine there was similar amounts of immigration under both Govts. That said, Labour had the Europeans in as well which would skew the figures but I wouldn't but them in the same bracket of poor as some African and Asian nations.