• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Derby Match Day thread

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
No. That was Jamie Noone from Southport.
In fact it was Craig Noone, because Jamie Noon is an England International in Rugby Union.

Antony Moxey

Rob Edwards 3: This is probably the only player about whom I disagree with the opinion of greenawayr. I've got to say he was pretty damn awful, beaten to almost every 50:50 and probably would have got booked in a league game for persistent fouling, after he fouled three guys who got away from him in pretty quick succession. Only put in one or two tackles that I can remember and gave the ball away several times. Sadly, as much as I love the guy and admire what he has done for Exeter City, I seriously think he will get badly found out in League One if he carries on playing. Having said that, I thought he was past it in the friendlies I saw last summer and he proved me wrong, and I hope he can do it again.
He's been like that all pre-season, from the games that I've seen. After all he's done for the club, I hope this isn't one season too many for him, in much the same way I felt it was for Scott Hiley. To my mind the best thing to happen to Hiley in his final season was Danny Woodards replacing him half way through - I fear we will need someone to do the same a lot sooner for Edwards.

Mike Blackstone

In fact it was Craig Noone, because Jamie Noon is an England International in Rugby Union.
Craig Noone, the player I recommended to City about three years ago when I saw him playing for Burscough.

greenawayr

Mox et al.

I guess it's perception on Edwards.

From my viewpoint, everytime Derby made a move forward he was making an interception and gettin stuck in. Even if he was losing some 50/50's (I don't agree that he lost all of them) he was still there disrupting the Derby midfield and I thought he was excellent there (awesome maybe an overstatement). It's noticeable that pretty much all of Derby's headway towards our goal came out wide because imo, he was excellent and stopping play through the middle. Perhaps he could do with simply knocking the ball to the nearest man rather than overplaying it, but I thought he had a very good game as a disruptive force in the middle!

Poultice

I guess it's perception on Edwards.

he was excellent and stopping play through the middle. Perhaps he could do with simply knocking the ball to the nearest man rather than overplaying it,!
That's exactly how I saw it agin Spurs, major impact by being in the right place and getting the foot in but then blew it with dodgy distribution.

Antony Moxey

That's exactly how I saw it agin Spurs, major impact by being in the right place and getting the foot in but then blew it with dodgy distribution.
Dodgy distribution and getting caught in possession every time he tried to get forward. It's all well and good 'getting the foot in', but if all does is ensure the opposition have to make one extra pass then it's not that much of a major impact.

I'd say of all the players retained from last season that I've seen play this, he's the one who looks furthest out of his depth. Shame.

greenawayr

In fairness, there was plenty of dodgy passing from most of our team against Derby.

If he perhaps is limited to sitting in front of the back four and doing the simple stuff then he will still have a role to play within our team!

M5MazdaMike

Good test for City v a team a league above, leaving us looking a little light for League One. With all the subs etc. & being a friendly hard to tell if we will cut it. Tiss may need a one or two more quality signings. At least Derby had a strongish team out. I see thay sent their reserves to Turkey United on Friday night cos Savage played there.

greenawayr

The Brother-in-law, a Derby supporter, said that was near there first team with the exception of Rob Hulse and Kris Commons.

He was also happy with Deano and said he looked solid and should be able to hold his place down.

Antony Moxey

Good test for City v a team a league above, leaving us looking a little light for League One.
I disagree. The didn't look THAT much better than us, and two defensive howlers apart there was little to seperate the two teams.