• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Demetri Mitchell signs on for City

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sounds like GC is keen to get players signed up on longer term contracts. We certainly seem to be having quite a few "year options" on top the agreed years these days. Maybe that is what we are trying to tie Demi down to, two years with an option of a third. That would be good news indeed just I would take Demi just because Ng here next season. He is the seasoned player in our squad who does have that bit of attacking quality.

Grecian Max

Mitchell in a fast-improving side would be a good watch, I think

He stood out amongst the rest early in the season, where - despite some good results - we looked pretty fragile, particularly in an attacking sense

There were points, such as Orient at home - where he was our only real threat

I still can't see him signing when the likes of Stockport could just chuck money on him to return to Manchester - indeed Wrexham is only an 1 and a half away too

Doesn't seem the surfing, Dartmoor loving type

tonykellowfan

Resigning Harris would be far more important than keeping Mitchell.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree. Harris is a very useful addition and fast improving but Mitchell has that match changing ability and he's pretty consistent with it as well. He's not a luxury player who shows flashes of brilliance, he's a hard worker as well as being a good player. For me, Mitchell is too good for L1 and would be more suited to the Championship. The only positive of his injury is that we may have more chance of signing him again for next season.

Respectfully have to disagree with this massively. I'd love to have Harris back at SJP but think he is far more replaceable like for like than Demetri.

Someone of Demetri's experience, pace, athleticism, versatility and threat are extremely hard to find for Clubs like us and we can probably all count on two hands the player's who have joined us over the last decade who have had pace or power far above the average player in our division at the time. A quick attempt and I'd say Kane Wilson, Randell Williams, Nombe, Jack Stacey and Stanno. This makes him a commodity that we have not usually been able to recruit and all the more important to keep hold of for as long as possible when we do.

Premier League clubs are producing 'Number 10's' that can drop down into the EFL and perform on a pretty consistent basis - see Trevitt/Harris at City, Cundle at Argyle first half of this season, Omari Hutchinson at Ipswich, Robertson and Anjorin at Pompey to name a few. Then there's also players in these positions that haven't gone on loan to EFL club's this season but are likely to go out next season and IMO will be a success should they do so:

George Earthy - West Ham
Jude Soonsup-Bell - Tottenham
Adrion Pajatizi - Fulham
Ethan Nwaneri - Arsenal

I think it's also important to consider that were Demi to sign a new contract, it would be likely that, given the intentions of the Club, this would be a 1 year deal with an option for a further year in the Club's favour at minimum, but more than likely a 2 year deal with an option included as a best case scenario. Given that, securing what would be a key player for a longer period definitely outweighs the importance of signing a youth player on loan when we'll have to hand them back in 12 months anyway.

So I personally feel as though it's much more imperative that we look to keep Demi, and then if we can get Harris back great, but there are other options out there that would lessen the blow of Harris not returning, and there seem to be far less that would be in our market in the mould of a Demi.

Last edited:

ryancooper327

Would like to see him and Cole, as the two 10s, behind a CF.

Such a versatile player that fits into GC’s style and formation perfectly, would be a miss for sure.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would like to see him and Cole, as the two 10s, behind a CF.

Such a versatile player that fits into GC’s style and formation perfectly, would be a miss for sure.
Personally I don't think the 10 role suits Cole. I prefer him as a 6 or 8.

Mr Jinx

How many of the squad can you imagine loving Dartmoor?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mitchell in a fast-improving side would be a good watch, I think

He stood out amongst the rest early in the season, where - despite some good results - we looked pretty fragile, particularly in an attacking sense

There were points, such as Orient at home - where he was our only real threat

I still can't see him signing when the likes of Stockport could just chuck money on him to return to Manchester - indeed Wrexham is only an 1 and a half away too

But what makes you think he's desperate to live around Manchester? His career path so far doesn't suggest he's desperate to stay close to home. Also doesn't come across as that kind of guy. Seems quite happy, but who knows. Are Stockport so rich they're blowing us out of the water for Mitchell? I fancy him to stick about and enjoy Dartmoor with his massive dog.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he's fully fit, he will go elsewhere. If not, he may stay here.