• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Defending Corners

Flackmeister

First let me say, credit to Tis for changing the formation on Saturday, the wing backs weren't working for us and the change brought about a better performance.

However, I think we could have taken all 3 points if we sorted out defending of set pieces (particularly corners). When Tis first arrived, one of the first things I noticed was that he left at least 1 player up when defending a corner, which was a welcome change from the tactics deployed by Inglethorpe & Dolan. I don't know why he has reverted to having everyone back in the box in the last couple years, but there are several problems with doing this:

a) It reduces the chance of a quick counter attack to practically zero.

b) If the ball is cleared, it goes straight back to the opposition causing wave after wave of attacks.

c) As we have all players not just in the 18 yard box, but within 12 yards of goad, if the ball is half cleared it will probably fall to an opponent lurking on the edge of the box for a free shot at goal.

d) Most importantly, the extra bodies aren't even working in terms of winning headers. On Saturday, York's big central defensive lump scored a free header whilst all 10 of our outfielders were just stood around deep in the box, then had a chance to win it with another free header.

All in all, I can't see any positives for this tactic and I think it is symptomatic of a negative mindset which has crept in in the last few seasons. I would like us to be a bit bolder in general, and particularly when defending set plays.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a daft tactic as you say. Mourinho usually leaves two players upfield so that the opposition has to keep three back.

paperclip

Flackmeister I think you are preaching to the converted. I don't know anyone who can provide a sensible explanation for why we defend corners with all 11 players in our own box. Saturdays goal was a joke, and as someone has already said on another thread, why was there no one on the post?

rp42

Being saying this for the last 3 years!! Daft tactics and has been said before leave two players up out wide of the centre circle so you got a big gap through the middle.

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was an extremely soft goal on Saturday, I posted this on the matchday thread yesterday:

No man marking either, looked like a strange form of zonal marking, we seemed to have players packed inside the six yard box basically inviting free headers between the six yard line and the penalty spot, bizarre.

If this is the type of thing we are putting into place on the training ground then it is little wonder we are so poor.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Flackmeister I think you are preaching to the converted. I don't know anyone who can provide a sensible explanation for why we defend corners with all 11 players in our own box. Saturdays goal was a joke, and as someone has already said on another thread, why was there no one on the post?
I dont know for sure why every member of the team needs to come back and defend a corner, but I have a theory that the plan is designed to help/protect our young goalkeeper. If that is the case, I think Pym is better than that, and doesnt need all his team mates banging around the place under those conditions.

rp42

I dont know for sure why every member of the team needs to come back and defend a corner, but I have a theory that the plan is designed to help/protect our young goalkeeper. If that is the case, I think Pym is better than that, and doesnt need all his team mates banging around the place under those conditions.
They don't help Pym one bit as they just get in his way and he normally ends up banging into one or two of them.

Flackmeister

They don't help Pym one bit as they just get in his way and he normally ends up banging into one or two of them.
Plus we were employing the same tactics last year with Artur in goal, so don't think it can be specifically to protect Pym. If it is zonal marking players need to attack the ball, not just stand around looking at each other.

Grecian_Jay

Good OP and follows on from my thread about set pieces. It's something that never improves.

I do wonder what goes on on the training ground as we never improve.

Red Monster

It's not the defending so much but the sheer amount of corners we concede ,this season is
Following the same pattern as last season. So far in 5 matches it's 46 so to concede only once
Ain't that bad .