• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

David Wheeler

ianaplincorners

If you're correct, & I've no reason to doubt you, it puts the club in a difficult position: Do we take, say, £250k & harm our possible play off chances, or hold on to him until the end of the season when he walks for nothing.
Whichever they do, Tis & Co will be blamed by some for making the wrong decision. Hopefully he's offered & signs a new contract in the near future. Fingers crossed....
if he's out of contract at the end of the season which I think he is there is no way City will get £250,000 for him when he's a free agent in around 6 months. Remind me how much City got for Ryan Harley when he left?

Last edited:

budegrecian

if he's out of contract at the end of the season which I think he is there is no way City will get £250,000 for him when he's a free agent in around 6 months. Remind me how much City got for Ryan Harley when he left?
Fair point, but I think Brighton would have paid us around that amount for Ryan, but he wouldn't go there as he had his heart set on Swansea. I think we got £80k for Golbourne, in similar circumstances although times, & valuations, have moved on since then, but you're right £250k may be a bit of a stretch. Hopefully we can convince him to stsy.

D__Lo__

I got the impression it was more relief than expectation when Wheeler re-signed, wasn't it around the same time that it became clear Nichols wasn't going to? It was a bit like with Ribeiro for me and similarly I don't think it would be too surprising if/when better options arise that he'll be off for little in the way of fees.

If his contract is due to expire in the summer (which I believe it is after a bit of a look) then there's a very real possibility of no Watkins or Wheeler next season which is concerning and would put quite some onus on the rest of the season (It also makes me question the future of other out of contract players like Holmes but I expect that's too uncomfortable for some...)

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Delightfully strange how the team's return to form (AND ABOVE ALL, HITTING THE NET) has coincided with DW's return to fitness and availability?!

STURTZ

Imagine the scenario, cash rich Plymouth Argyle buy long term target David Wheeler from Exeter City, who lines up against his old club in the February fixture.

Could happen!:mad:

Grecian2K

Imagine the scenario, cash rich Plymouth Argyle buy long term target David Wheeler from Exeter City, who lines up against his old club in the February fixture.

Oh, I don't know Sturtz. Don't necessarily rule every option out.

If Harry Potter could, by some magic, conjure up an acceptable 7 figure initial payment - to be paid UPFRONT IN CASH (none of this 7% nonsense) with mutually agreeable add-ons to be secured in "escrow" it might at least help pay for a roof to keep the rain off their sad, sorry heads when we play them next season.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Oh, I don't know Sturtz. Don't necessarily rule every option out.

If Harry Potter could, by some magic, conjure up an acceptable 7 figure initial payment - to be paid UPFRONT IN CASH (none of this 7% nonsense) with mutually agreeable add-ons to be secured in "escrow" it might at least help pay for a roof to keep the rain off their sad, sorry heads when we play them next season.
What you think The Slime are going up?????

Seriously though, City would accept about 150k for him now I'd imagine, with his contract up in the summer. It could be Jamie Mackie all over again!

Langer

If we sold one of our best players for peanuts like 150k then replaced him with someone else's cast off I would be very disappointed.

fred binneys head

If you're gonna say **** like that sturtz I suggest you put the keyboard down and count to ten mate.

dontpassback

They had to squeeze 15k out of Harry Potter for some no mark from the gulls,so they certainly ain't going to cough up a decent wedge for wheeler .