• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

David Noble

budegrecian

Noble travelled yesterday & was on the pitch, with the players, before the game. I am guessing, & it's just that: a guess, that he failed a fitness test.
If that's the case he could be back fairly soon. I hope so, as he was a big miss yesterday.

milts

Oakley is the weak link in our midfield IMO.

We needs Dunne type in there.

Harley / Noble / Dunne type would be decent at this level.

Tis irritates me at times, but I do have the sense
Me too. Somebody said on here in the close season that Noble was our single most important player , with no direct replacement available...that is looking worryingly accurate
Let's not get carried away, based on one defeat. We won at a very good League 1 side without him. We have a good squad. Noble seems a different player than the one who skippered us in League 1. He's fitter, his attitude is better, he looks to be more forward minded, than he used to be. He is a good player, who we do miss when he's out. Maybe we could do with bringing in another midfielder, as a squad player. I suppose we never really replaced Sercombe.

Last edited:
Oakley is the weak link in our midfield IMO.

We needs Dunne type in there.

Harley / Noble / Dunne type would be decent at this level.
Oakley reads the game very well. His distribution is generally very good. Didn't he play the chipped pass for Hoskins to score the winner v Yeovil? His chip to Harley, at Luton last season, was sublime. His legs are gone, but he still has something to offer. You will struggle to get the perfect midfielder, at this level.

On the up

Oakley reads the game very well. His distribution is generally very good. Didn't he play the chipped pass for Hoskins to score the winner v Yeovil? His chip to Harley, at Luton last season, was sublime. His legs are gone, but he still has something to offer. You will struggle to get the perfect midfielder, at this level.
He may well read the game well but yesterday as in many games he was very poor. Gave the ball away constantly and just can't keep up with their midfield. Our midfield needs legs and presence. At the moment we have too many technically good but weak players in the starting 11. Early days but this needs addressing if we want to get into the playoffs.

He may well read the game well but yesterday as in many games he was very poor. Gave the ball away constantly and just can't keep up with their midfield. Our midfield needs legs and presence. At the moment we have too many technically good but weak players in the starting 11. Early days but this needs addressing if we want to get into the playoffs.
Fair comment.

Smiverz

Oakley was the worst player on the pitch yesterday, we are a physically weak team and it showed.

Red Bill

I like Oakley, he's a classy player who does read the game well but he's clearly not up to playing every match and alongside Harley and Davies we need a more attack minded player. If Noble's out I'd really like to see McCreedy given a chance. He won't add anything to our physicality but he's very attack minded and likes to run at defences down the middle which helps to make space for our very good wide players.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
First half Oakley should have been subbed he was so bad with his use of the ball

Saint James

Let's not get carried away, based on one defeat. We won at a very good League 1 side without him. We have a good squad. Noble seems a different player than the one who skippered us in League 1. He's fitter, his attitude is better, he looks to be more forward minded, than he used to be. He is a good player, who we do miss when he's out. Maybe we could do with bringing in another midfielder, as a squad player. I suppose we never really replaced Sercombe.
PTML, the difference between the two matches are the type of opponents. Swindon are a creative type team who like us pass the ball through midfield. Northampton are a typical division 4 physical and close you down team. Oakley 1 few years ago would have the speed of thought and of foot to cope but is now too slow against this type of team who close him down.