• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Darren Bent, goal scoring machine or luckiest man ever......

Lyme Grecian

Joleon Lescott who's head has turned into that of an England International.
Whenever i see his head it reminds me of one those Klingons.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
A team player and a reasonably good finisher. No more, no less.

A curious stat about him is that he was something like the tenth highest paid player in the Premier League when he renewed his contract last time, and earned more from playing football than Kaka last season. Although Kaka earns an absolute fortune from commercial spin-offs worldwide (especially in Brazil, where people seem to think he represents everything good about the world - wow, a white footballer who's good looking too!) so in a moneybags p**sing contest there'd only be one winner.

Mackster

I thought Everton were mugged when they shelled out shedloads for Andy Johnson. Spurs were not only mugged but suffered ABH in the process when they shelled out........ what was it? £16 million??? Half decent club striker for lesser Premier League lights but isn't up to cutting it at a decent side and certainly not international material.
Not as mugged as the Geordies were for England's Mickey Owen who also cost 16m, plus another £15 million for his 3 year contract. He's scored 11 goals in 3 years, whereas Bent has already scored more than that this season. Owen will now command bugger all in a transfer fee, whereas if Bent was to move tomorrow he would command at least £10 million. You can have opinions, but those are the facts.

Well-known Exeweb poster
In Berby, keane and defoe, jol had a significant goal scoring machine,but no pace, time and time again spurs were taking the lead and were holding on, being pushed further and further back, ultimately he had no electric pace to bring on , so he bought Bent. imo the sitting on the bench waiting for his chance didn't seem to do him any good, confidence,sharpness, seemed to drain from him. However towards the end of last season he started to get his act together and started looking the part, this season it seems to have licked into place for him.
Not the most gifted of strikers, but hard working, willing and sure he gets a bit of luck,but he gets himself into the positions in the first place to exploit the luck. long termish? a little similar to pave, one or the other, in my book will be on his bike, when ari does his reshuffle at the end of the season and as mentioned in a previous post spurs will get good money for Benty.

Last edited:

Unleashed

Bent 12 goals in 22 games in a poor team..

Keane 4 goals in 22 games for Liverpool..

Mackster

Not as mugged as the Geordies were for England's Mickey Owen who also cost 16m, plus another £15 million for his 3 year contract. He's scored 11 goals in 3 years, whereas Bent has already scored more than that this season. Owen will now command bugger all in a transfer fee, whereas if Bent was to move tomorrow he would command at least £10 million. You can have opinions, but those are the facts.
Sorry I was wrong about Owen, he has actually scored 30 goals whilst at Newcastle in 66 games which is a great return. But all that wonga shelled out for 66 games over 3.5 years!

Owen looks like moving at the end of the season and I don't think any of the top 4 will want him. I reckon he will end up at Spurs. I can't see him going to Everton because of his 'Pool connections and for Martin O'Neill he won't fit into the way he wants to play.

The trouble with Bent is that it's like having gone out in the past with all of Girls Aloud and now you having to settle for Kerry Katona. Still capable of doing the business, but it just doesn't feel right and is faintly embarassing after what we've had previous.