• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Dagenham v Exeter city Matchday Thread

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why do you think that mate? Billy is a left back - or at least he was when he left here - so why would it be 'no way' he'd move there? Or is it because we're playing three at the back and not four?
Yes, a little bit of that. Personally I'd like to see Billy at left wing back, as I think his final ball is a lot more consistent than Scottys at the moment, and the reason Billy's looking a bit shakey is imo, Scottys not doing the defensive job he should be and BJ is going across to cover. How many of our goals come down that side?

I think when Tis signed Billy he said to him that that's where he wanted him to play..but there is also school of thought that Tis went into the season maybe one centre-half too light.

I can't see him moving Duffy across, that disturbs the balance up the right hand side, and the understanding that Duffers has with Tulls.

crocks

All good points but probably wont be a headache for Tis for a while yet as I get the feeling that Matty T will be out for a while.

LammieLammieLammie

I think that's right Crocks.

Tis preferred formation is the 3-5-2 and I really think you can't play both Troy and Matt in that shape.

Poultice

the reason Billy's looking a bit shakey is imo, Scottys not doing the defensive job he should be and BJ is going across to cover
How does that contribute to his inability to challenge for a ball in the air ?

Golbourne doesn't defend effectively in a five, no doubt, but none of them do, except maybe Tulls, five at the back has been a nightmare for years, I have posted ad nauseum on the subject to no avail, not of course that I would expect my posts to have an effect.

Half the time Tuesday we had the three CBs going for the same ball, well Troy and Duffers were going for it, who knows what BJ was doing other than standing about looking scared that the ball might come his way. They just don't get how to play the system, finishing up far too narrow, with Tulls tucking in one side to prevent the walk through but not the cross, and with Goldy staying far too wide and not deep enough making him part of a bigger problem rather than the solution.

For the system to work the wingbacks have got to be wingbacks, neither of our two are, plus the CBs have got to do the wide coverage, one side we have Duffers and Tulls doing a fair defensive job but offering little going forward, the other side offers a little more offensively but is a train wreck waiting to happen should anyone really get at us, the workrate of Sercs and Dunny is saving us at the moment against a poor side like Dagenham, better teams will stroll through that left side and batter us.

In defence of BJ I can can only call it as I see it, he has been a total liability against two poor sides when I have seen him, maybe he is another Harley and is better value at home, just a shame that half of the league games aren't at SJP.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that's right Crocks.

Tis preferred formation is the 3-5-2 and I really think you can't play both Troy and Matt in that shape.
You can. Troy is on the right, Taylor in the middle and Edwards on the left - IMHO our strongest (literally as well as metaphorically) back 3. Last season I thought Edwards was getting too slow but I don't think anymore that that's true, and anyway his anticipation is better than Jones - who is big enough but doesn't seem to command his area; I'd have him as sub to Edwards rather than the other way around. Though I imagine Tis will stay with Jones and Golborne.

The real dilemma is then who to play at right wingback - Tully or Duffy?

Personally I'd play Duffy, but I know most fans think Tully is a minor deity.
Oh well, opinions are like a***holes, we all have one...and we don't have to make the call.

Grecian_Jay

You can. Troy is on the right, Taylor in the middle and Edwards on the left - IMHO our strongest (literally as well as metaphorically) back 3. Last season I thought Edwards was getting too slow but I don't think anymore that that's true, and anyway his anticipation is better than Jones - who is big enough but doesn't seem to command his area; I'd have him as sub to Edwards rather than the other way around. Though I imagine Tis will stay with Jones and Golborne.

The real dilemma is then who to play at right wingback - Tully or Duffy?

Personally I'd play Duffy, but I know most fans think Tully is a minor deity.
Oh well, opinions are like a***holes, we all have one...and we don't have to make the call.
I agree with some of this but no way can you take Duffy out of the back 3. You are heading for all sorts of problems there.

Antony Moxey

the other side offers a little more offensively but is a train wreck waiting to happen should anyone really get at us, the workrate of Sercs and Dunny is saving us at the moment against a poor side like Dagenham, better teams will stroll through that left side and batter us.

just a shame that half of the league games aren't at SJP.
Well no-one so far has battered us, except maybe Orient (although I couldn't say how their goals came about, so perhaps you're theory is wrong. Unless, of course, everyone we've played so far is sh*t.

As for your 'half the league games' comment at the end, whoosh me if you like but they are, aren't they?

andrew p long

but there is also school of thought that Tis went into the season maybe one centre-half too *injured*
Corrected for factuals.:)

BTW I think LLL is a youngster.

Red Hot Lips

How does that contribute to his inability to challenge for a ball in the air ?

Golbourne doesn't defend effectively in a five, no doubt, but none of them do, except maybe Tulls, five at the back has been a nightmare for years, I have posted ad nauseum on the subject to no avail, not of course that I would expect my posts to have an effect.

Half the time Tuesday we had the three CBs going for the same ball, well Troy and Duffers were going for it, who knows what BJ was doing other than standing about looking scared that the ball might come his way. They just don't get how to play the system, finishing up far too narrow, with Tulls tucking in one side to prevent the walk through but not the cross, and with Goldy staying far too wide and not deep enough making him part of a bigger problem rather than the solution.

For the system to work the wingbacks have got to be wingbacks, neither of our two are, plus the CBs have got to do the wide coverage, one side we have Duffers and Tulls doing a fair defensive job but offering little going forward, the other side offers a little more offensively but is a train wreck waiting to happen should anyone really get at us, the workrate of Sercs and Dunny is saving us at the moment against a poor side like Dagenham, better teams will stroll through that left side and batter us.

In defence of BJ I can can only call it as I see it, he has been a total liability against two poor sides when I have seen him, maybe he is another Harley and is better value at home, just a shame that half of the league games aren't at SJP.
agree with that mate also think edwards or the pastry chef should have come on instead of harley with 20 to go he was having a quite game might have held on 4 3 points

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
also think edwards or the pastry chef should have come on
Shamefully, I'd forgotten about Rob the God. In hindsight, I'd definitely have got the old boy on to see if he could sort it out.

Scruffy old game, wasn't it? One of those nights where for all the effort put in, everything looked very hard work for us.

Last edited: