• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cunning plans

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
True all our promotion teams have been based on a strong central defensive pairing, Brown and JMT were such a pair. Think we'll struggle to progress with TAH and Seabourn there, wonder when Croll is back?

Bittners a Legend

Tisdale is clearly more comfortable working with people he knows and that are used to his methods (and perhaps less likely to question him or them). If that is the approach that he wants to take then I don't think it can be entirely dismissed as there is a logic to it but I do think that it evidences one of the reasons why a completely new manager could be very beneficial to the football club. That said, none of the players he has brought in (except perhaps Troy due to injury) are players whose careers are finished at 29/30/31 and all could prove valuable in the short-term.

The issue is that these aren't guys we are going to develop and sell-on in the future and in that sense it feels like a return to what Tisdale did last time he had a bit of cash (2012-13). He only really started investing in youth again when he was forced to due to the transfer embargo and PFA loan. When you look at the starting line up the year we got relegated and more specifically our first year back in L2 what you notice is not many under 18-22 year old players in the side. I suspect Perryman is far more convinced about investing in youth than Tisdale is.

LDNGrecian

To me the investment in players in their prime is evidence that Tis is really pushing for promotion this season. No more of this ‘make grimes look good so he can be sold for a lot’ tactic.

The number of players we now have in their prime (and higher wages) is arguably the most since Tis has been in charge. (Granted this is my perception, happy to be corrected)

sign of the chimes

Tisdale is clearly more comfortable working with people he knows and that are used to his methods (and perhaps less likely to question him or them). If that is the approach that he wants to take then I don't think it can be entirely dismissed as there is a logic to it but I do think that it evidences one of the reasons why a completely new manager could be very beneficial to the football club. That said, none of the players he has brought in (except perhaps Troy due to injury) are players whose careers are finished at 29/30/31 and all could prove valuable in the short-term.

The issue is that these aren't guys we are going to develop and sell-on in the future and in that sense it feels like a return to what Tisdale did last time he had a bit of cash (2012-13). He only really started investing in youth again when he was forced to due to the transfer embargo and PFA loan. When you look at the starting line up the year we got relegated and more specifically our first year back in L2 what you notice is not many under 18-22 year old players in the side. I suspect Perryman is far more convinced about investing in youth than Tisdale is.
I think unless a manager is fully signed up to a 'project' to develop youth that there will always be expediency in team selection. If you're going to be judged on a short-term basis purely on first team results and performance then that is where your focus will be - why risk youth if you can call on someone with experience? Is there any chance that the change to Tisdale's terms of employment might shift his focus in terms of who he picks?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think unless a manager is fully signed up to a 'project' to develop youth that there will always be expediency in team selection. If you're going to be judged on a short-term basis purely on first team results and performance then that is where your focus will be - why risk youth if you can call on someone with experience? Is there any chance that the change to Tisdale's terms of employment might shift his focus in terms of who he picks?
Good point Chimes. If Tis walks instead of accepting a new contract why wouldn't he go for promotion at any cost ?

sign of the chimes

Good point Chimes. If Tis walks instead of accepting a new contract why wouldn't he go for promotion at any cost ?
We've given Jackett a four year contract. I don't think there's any expectation from the board of promotion at the moment as financially we're struggling to compete with those at the top of League 1. Several youngsters are getting more games than they were in league 2 last year - partly because of injuries but also because that seems to be part of why Jackett was appointed (he has a record of developing younger players). Cook had a different set of objectives which is why he tended to pick experience over youth.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our incredible early form in the season had nothing to do with the fact we hadn't yet signed the old players, it was purely that we had continuity from last year and started on a really strong footing with nearly all the squad knowing each other and most of the team having played together for the previous season. The other teams were always going to raise to our level eventually, it was just a matter of time.

The question now is can we find some consistency of form to add to the good early start.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our incredible early form in the season had nothing to do with the fact we hadn't yet signed the old players, it was purely that we had continuity from last year and started on a really strong footing with nearly all the squad knowing each other and most of the team having played together for the previous season. The other teams were always going to raise to our level eventually, it was just a matter of time.

The question now is can we find some consistency of form to add to the good early start.
Agreed. I used to be a successful basketball coach, and naturally was continually looking to improve the team with not only developing the existing players, but also good selective recruitment. Whilst a new player would make an immediate impact with their existing skills, it generally took about three months to get the maximum benefits, as they and the existing squad, got fully attuned to playing with each other.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think people should look a bit more closely at our opposition when talking about our own form, though that has obviously dropped in terms of performance. At the start of the season we drew away (very well) at Swindon, then proceeded to win away at a weak Cheltenham team, a very poor (then) Forest Green and also Barnet. Only Barnet out of those three put up much of a fight, and a subsequent injury to JMT coincided with our most difficult opposition to that point. It did seem then that TAH was unable to deputise adequately for JMT, but I've actually been impressed with him in recent appearances, especially coming out of defence with the ball. As for Moxey, it would be nice if he offered more going forward but we have Holmes so that isn't really an issue for me and he is a very good left back, although so is Woodman and it's difficult to know who is more worthy of the shirt right now, but I'd rather have the option of Deano than not have him. Harley for me is quality. When the ball comes to him his touch is so good with both feet that he is able to steady himself immediately and find a pass to keep the game going, something that we had lacked before he returned. Seaborne is interesting, he hasn't settled yet but I wouldn't like to judge him on what he's done so far and centre backs do generally get better with age and I think he could be a very good signing. Paul Jones is definitely better than Hamon and I always thought he was a very good keeper, and played in a City team that gave away a lot more chances than our current team does and often saved the day.

I agree with what people said about how the end of the season will be the time to decide whether any or all of these signings are a mistake or not, because most of them have barely settled into the team.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
True all our promotion teams have been based on a strong central defensive pairing, Brown and JMT were such a pair. Think we'll struggle to progress with TAH and Seabourn there, wonder when Croll is back?
Croll will not be back any time soon so will need to be discounted from our defensive option.