• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crusties set up camp at Exeter Cathedral

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
HMRC should take a leaf out of the IRS's book in the USA. If you are a US citizen you are liable for tax in the US on your entire global income irrespective of where it was earned.
I disagree entirely. In my belief earnings should be taxed in the country they are earned.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I disagree entirely. In my belief earnings should be taxed in the country they are earned.
And this is the system that allows loopholes. "Where they're earned" does not currently mean what you want it to mean.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And this is the system that allows loopholes. "Where they're earned" does not currently mean what you want it to mean.
Indeed, there are loopholes, which can and should be closed. If someone uses £100 worth of services in the UK, these should be taxed at UK rates.

A US citizen could be living and working in the UK. In the meantime he has an operation on the NHS, he uses our roads and other infrastructure, yet his income tax is paid in the US? How is that fair on the UK?

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
A US citizen could be living and working in the UK. In the meantime he has an operation on the NHS, he uses our roads and other infrastructure, yet his income tax is paid in the US? How is that fair on the UK?
The system proposed is, in fact, not ideal. It is however more likely to work than the terrible one we have now.

You are right in that it's flawed.

Lorimers Left Boot

Very good topic,I know most of you on here work your butts off for a standard of living you want to obtain for your family even though in most cases it's a struggle,soceity today doesn't reward the hard workers every government say's everyone in work must be better off.I have actual figures from a woman in my street,Single mother of six all different fathers who don't pay a penny towards them,she gets £18,596.76 child tax credit,£3,529.28 income support,£5,856.00 housing benefit,£4,564.54 child benefit,free school meals worth £2080 and one child has got behaviour problems so yes folks you guessed it she gets a nice £2340 in disability benefits,thats roughly a nice cool £36,966.58 per year for doing jack sh*t,her kids are never hardly at school so there futures look bright,do the same as mother and fire out kids for cash,she got a nice people carrier they enjoy lovely holidays all on us,i am not saying all people on benefits are scroungers but just her case alone we have six children growing up in a situation where they see a life on benefits as the norm, but then again where will she get a job that pays that sort of money and where does government get their phrase that everyone in work is better off,beats me folks

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Very good topic,I know most of you on here work your butts off for a standard of living you want to obtain for your family even though in most cases it's a struggle,soceity today doesn't reward the hard workers every government say's everyone in work must be better off.I have actual figures from a woman in my street,Single mother of six all different fathers who don't pay a penny towards them,she gets £18,596.76 child tax credit,£3,529.28 income support,£5,856.00 housing benefit,£4,564.54 child benefit,free school meals worth £2080 and one child has got behaviour problems so yes folks you guessed it she gets a nice £2340 in disability benefits,thats roughly a nice cool £36,966.58 per year for doing jack sh*t,her kids are never hardly at school so there futures look bright,do the same as mother and fire out kids for cash,she got a nice people carrier they enjoy lovely holidays all on us,i am not saying all people on benefits are scroungers but just her case alone we have six children growing up in a situation where they see a life on benefits as the norm, but then again where will she get a job that pays that sort of money and where does government get their phrase that everyone in work is better off,beats me folks
I very much doubt that. I just did a test using 6 kids, no job, etc. and came up with around £6K.

heathy1

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well after giving all those people hopefully a kicking for daring to soil Exeter's finest landmark I can give them some very hardy advice. I earn £21k a year for doing a 30 hour week the missis gets £5k working part time and we have 3 kids, tax credits give us
£6k a year and our water prices are capped as we have 3 kids oh and we have a council house that costs £66.02p a week (although that took 8 years to get). So my take in life so far is dont bother with university as that will be a waste of time, get yourself out and working and get yourself a missis that will work too, get a sh*t load of kids and maybe one day council accommodation too, it always pays to work as even on minimum wage a family with one child will have their wages topped up to £14k and get council tax help.There are jobs out there and no one is too good for any job

Lorimers Left Boot

I very much doubt that. I just did a test using 6 kids, no job, etc. and came up with around £6K.
Entitlement per year per week Notes How to apply
Means-tested income entitlements
Child Tax Credit £18,698.94 £357.63 Child tax credit.
Tax Credits £18,698.94 £357.63 Child tax credit. How to apply for Tax Credits
Income Support £3,529.28 £67.50 We have calculated your entitlement without child additions. If you currently receive child additions then these will be lost if you claim tax credits. For more information see child additions in Income Support and JSA. How to apply for Income Support
Means-tested bill reductions
Housing Benefit £7,015.00 £134.17 We have calculated your entitlement using the Local Housing Allowance rate you entered. LHA rates change every month so please return to the calculator regularly to check your entitlement. Our calculation is based on you receiving £357.63 from child tax credit. How to apply for Housing Benefit
Other income entitlements
Child Benefit £4,564.54 £87.30 How to apply for Child Benefit
Total Entitlements £33,807.76 £646.60 weekly

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well after giving all those people hopefully a kicking for daring to soil Exeter's finest landmark I can give them some very hardy advice. I earn £21k a year for doing a 30 hour week the missis gets £5k working part time and we have 3 kids, tax credits give us
£6k a year and our water prices are capped as we have 3 kids oh and we have a council house that costs £66.02p a week (although that took 8 years to get). So my take in life so far is dont bother with university as that will be a waste of time, get yourself out and working and get yourself a missis that will work too, get a sh*t load of kids and maybe one day council accommodation too, it always pays to work as even on minimum wage a family with one child will have their wages topped up to £14k and get council tax help.There are jobs out there and no one is too good for any job
So your plan for every potential hard-working Brit, is to get out there, work part-time and claim £6k in tax credits?
You`re an inspiration to us all!

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Entitlement per year per week Notes How to apply
Means-tested income entitlements
Child Tax Credit £18,698.94 £357.63 Child tax credit.
Tax Credits £18,698.94 £357.63 Child tax credit. How to apply for Tax Credits
Income Support £3,529.28 £67.50 We have calculated your entitlement without child additions. If you currently receive child additions then these will be lost if you claim tax credits. For more information see child additions in Income Support and JSA. How to apply for Income Support
Means-tested bill reductions
Housing Benefit £7,015.00 £134.17 We have calculated your entitlement using the Local Housing Allowance rate you entered. LHA rates change every month so please return to the calculator regularly to check your entitlement. Our calculation is based on you receiving £357.63 from child tax credit. How to apply for Housing Benefit
Other income entitlements
Child Benefit £4,564.54 £87.30 How to apply for Child Benefit
Total Entitlements £33,807.76 £646.60 weekly
Source? I used the government website.