• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crosswords

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spoiler alert.

Swanaldo

Sadly I have only seen 11 live at least once.
Yikes! I'd be interested to know which ones. I think I've only seen 4 on the list: Metallica, Portishead, Neko Case and Counting Crows (who played a stunning gig at Bournemouth International Centre)

Colesman Ballz

Yikes! I'd be interested to know which ones. I think I've only seen 4 on the list: Metallica, Portishead, Neko Case and Counting Crows (who played a stunning gig at Bournemouth International Centre)
Sound of the Sirens, Pink Floyd*, The Specials, Stereophonics, Springsteen*, Orange Juice, Status Quo, PJ Harvey, Erasure, Ten Years After, Muse, and Wings. * = in my all time top five gigs, Springsteen being on Independence Day 1985 at Wembley with the Born in the USA tour, and Floyd at Earls Ct in Oct 94 on the Division Bell Tour. I saw Floyd several times, the first being at Exeter Uni c1968 in their psychedelic lightshow era, only trouble is that I can't remember who was playing lead, Syd, David Gilmour, or it could even have been Syd on stage, with Gilmour in the wings playing the notes as it was around the time Syd was having real problems coping, maybe I will meet someone somewhere who can fill in the blanks ?

Wings was a secret end of tour gig at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden, with a full house of around 750. I lived around the corner from there and in the period from 82-95 it was my second home. The PJ Harvey and Erasure gigs were there too, the latter playing their first two ever gigs there on consecutive nights. I was friends with a girl who was secretary to Daniel Miller of Mute Records, and she spent the afternoon of the first gig, rushing around at the last minute to sort them out with stage costumes ! The best thing was that I became friends with Vince Power the owner, and as his empire grew, I could always get guest tickets for his concerts in Finsbury Park, and Reading Festival !!

Anyway enough for now before I bore everyone else to death, we will have to a chat sometime in the Spot after a match.

Tim Long

Neko is simply the Japanese word for cat. The lucky waving cats are Maneki Neko.
... be like...

Even when he does get to solve, the ordeal is humiliating. Fellow commuter Peter Cartwright typically announces “Finished” before the train has even reached Raynes Park, leaving Perrin uttering such abasements as, “I’m stuck on the top left-hand corner. I just don’t know any Bolivian poets.” https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2015/aug/10/crossword-blog-david-nobbs-crosswordings-funniest-commentator

I always thought the lucky cats were making the '******' sign in a different orientation. No Eastern pun intended.

Tim Long

W anchor...