• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2024

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aussie Will Sutherland has an injury, and won't be joining the Cidermen after all.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another cricketer no longer with us: Robin Hobbs of Essex and England, aged 81. RIP.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aussie Will Sutherland has an injury, and won't be joining the Cidermen after all.
Back injury. Seems it was back trouble that saved him from doing a stint for Essex in 2023.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know it's from the Guardian 🙄 but a thought provoking article by Ashley Giles here about the future of "first class cricket" in England.
I suspect even dear old Al might concur?
Two things immediately occur to me:
1) Is the traditional "county" structure still relevant information the 21st century? How many "millennials" identify with their town rather than (ancient) county?
2) The quoted wealth disparity, if correct, is shocking. While "bankers & w@nkers", entertaining clients on expenses can doubtless keep the likes Lords or the Oval in their financial pomp what hope do some of the non metropolitan places (like Hove, Taunton or Worcester for example) have of competing when sustained for the bulk of their seasonal midweeks by a mere handful of the retired?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know it's from the Guardian 🙄 but a thought provoking article by Ashley Giles here about the future of "first class cricket" in England.
I suspect even dear old Al might concur?
Two things immediately occur to me:
1) Is the traditional "county" structure still relevant information the 21st century? How many "millennials" identify with their town rather than (ancient) county?
2) The quoted wealth disparity, if correct, is shocking. While "bankers & w@nkers", entertaining clients on expenses can doubtless keep the likes Lords or the Oval in their financial pomp what hope do some of the non metropolitan places (like Hove, Taunton or Worcester for example) have of competing when sustained for the bulk of their seasonal midweeks by a mere handful of the retired?
I read a similar article over the weekend. Might have been in the Observer.

I cannot pretend to know the answers but I will continue to put two fingers up to the Hundred.

Maybe the Counties will simply become feeder clubs for the money laden franchises. Rather as we develop young talent at City for others to exploit

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Partly a case of haves and have-nots: counties who have Test grounds and those who don't. Hence Bransgrove's comments as a Hampshire man.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to see that Craig Overton was having a bowl at Taunton this morning.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cidermen expect to announce an overseas signing in the next few days (statement by Andy Hurry on March 30th).

Stelios

Aggers to present TMS for another 4 years (great news) but stepping down as BBC cricket correspondent (fair enough)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tom Abell will miss the start of the season. Hamstring tear. :(