• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2019

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
A real shame for the title to be settled by weather but sadly Kyle Abbott and James Vince last week look likely to be the deciding factors. Plenty more opportunities for this young team you sense but sad for Tres and Trego.
Yes, that was where the damage was done. Apart from Abbott's incredible bowling figures, we had them in trouble in both innings and couldn't finish them off. Another unfortunate episode, of course, was losing at Chelmsford, which enabled the East Saxons to catch us up.

What an omen it was when I saw that vehicle reg A88OTT.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Essex 141 all out, leaving them 62 behind.
Ciderboys forfeit innings to make them bat again.
Looking on the "Rain Alarm" app there looks to be a brief weather window.
So the whole seasons comes down to roughly 2 hours to defend 62 runs AND take all 10 wickets.
It can't possibly be done?
.....can it?????

Colesman Ballz

Wow. Essex wickets tumble and are all out on 141, 62 runs behind. Do Somerset try a last desperate gamble and forefeit their second innings ?

Edit G2K beats me to it and yes they have, come on Jack !

Grecian2K

Seems not remotely likely now, with siralistair apparently having a bit of a final, end of season swing.
As the saying goes, "It's not the despair... it's the hope that kills you" :(

Rosencrantz

Trescothick now on for one last time. Nice to give him a send off even though the championship is elusive. One of my favourite batsmen of all time.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The teams shake hands on the draw.

We'll win it one day..........one day..............

Alistair20000

Perhaps it was just as well Somerset did not win yesterday. The pitch was taking far too much spin right from the very first day and pitch inspectors might have had a word to say. As I have posted before, Somerset have been pushing their luck on this. I do not want to go back to those pitches where it was virtually impossible to bowl a team out twice leading to tedious, boring draws but a better balance is needed between bat and ball.

Looking at the scorecard it does seem feasible that Somerset could have pulled off a win despite the appalling weather if Sir Alastair Cook had not made the scene.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps it was just as well Somerset did not win yesterday. The pitch was taking far too much spin right from the very first day and pitch inspectors might have had a word to say. As I have posted before, Somerset have been pushing their luck on this. I do not want to go back to those pitches where it was virtually impossible to bowl a team out twice leading to tedious, boring draws but a better balance is needed between bat and ball.
Hampshire's problem from now on! :)

Alistair20000

Hampshire's problem from now on! :)
Ha(y) The spinner does not prosper in the red ball gig at the Ageas. I understand that Hampshire are interested in signing Nathan Lyon for next season so it might all be about to change.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Somerset bowler Tim Groenewald is off to Kent.