• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2017

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the weather conditions on the first day probably contributed to the collapse. I was at Lord's on Saturday and the pitch was a road in glorious overhead conditions - Gregory batted very well for his ton (I was sat a couple of seats away from his very delectable other half).

Rain has delayed the start today, although it's academic as a draw is nailed on.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Cracking win to finally kick start our season yesterday.

Congratulations to Ireland and Afghanistan on achieving full Test status.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jason's bauys might struggle to avoid defeat today at the Chelmsford crap hole. Essex very much the surprise package in the red/pink ball scene this season.

Alistair20000

Licking your wounds this morning Jason ?

Looked like the draw had been secured with a typical Compo digging in operation and untypically Fat Boy doing a similar job. Horrid late collapse though. (facepalm)

Cannot see your bauys defending the title now.

Narrow escape for the Cider Men at the Ageas after a bold Hampshire declaration. Big relegation threat now and with a young captain Tom Abell unable to buy a run. Interestingly when Somerset were fielding the commentator referred to Marcus Tres setting the field.

Not sure about this pink ball experiment.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Essex may have clinched the title with that win yesterday.

What they showed was it pays not to faff around bowling your overs - as the last 3 wickets fell after the official end of play in overs terms. I get so irate when I see someone push the ball to cover for no run, the cover ambles over and chucks it to the keeper stood well back, then it goes back through cover's hands again on its way to the bowler trudging back as slowly as possible to his mark. GET ON WITH IT!

Alistair20000

Essex may have clinched the title with that win yesterday.

What they showed was it pays not to faff around bowling your overs - as the last 3 wickets fell after the official end of play in overs terms. I get so irate when I see someone push the ball to cover for no run, the cover ambles over and chucks it to the keeper stood well back, then it goes back through cover's hands again on its way to the bowler trudging back as slowly as possible to his mark. GET ON WITH IT!

Yes a very valid point................................"sometimes" and depending on the context.

I saw the "minimum overs" had vanished from the Cricinfo site with around 12 minutes still to go to the close/cut off.

I also agree Essex are going to be very hard to catch. Amazing 9 fer from matey.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Listening to the commentary at work the comms were saying Harmer was getting the pink ball to spit all over the place - the wonder is actually that (thanks to Compo finally hitting form and Stirling sticking around) the innings lasted as long as it did.

Alistair20000

Listening to the commentary at work the comms were saying Harmer was getting the pink ball to spit all over the place - the wonder is actually that (thanks to Compo finally hitting form and Stirling sticking around) the innings lasted as long as it did.
I listened to some of the commentary from the Ageas and batting seemed pretty difficult throughout but particularly hard under the floodlights when the ball was jagging around for a pastime. I wonder if the gloomy weather and cloud cover had an effect ? Would be interesting to see how the pink ball works in proper summer weather. It seems to go soft very quickly so maybe 2 balls alternate overs may need to be considered ?

Compo and Stirling probably did do a very good job in the circumstances and the below par first innings was probably what lost Middlesex the game in the end.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Was RedPaul at Lords' on Saturday ?

Three successive final defeats for Sorry the serial chokers in the 50 over gig.

Must try not to smirk as Hampshire are playing them at the Oval today with none of the batsmen in any sort of form.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was RedPaul at Lords' on Saturday ?

Three successive final defeats for Sorry the serial chokers in the 50 over gig.

Must try not to smirk as Hampshire are playing them at the Oval today with none of the batsmen in any sort of form.
Alas not. Other commitments prevailed, £50 a ticket plus travel and refreshments and I knew we'd lose! At least it lasted until 6.00 rather than the 3.30 of last year.

Just as well Hampshire's batsmen are out of form, else they'd have scored 1000. The rain didn't help us last week up at Headingley. Looks like we may well need it on Thursday to save us this week.

Looking forward to the 20.20 on Sunday against the Cidermen. Finch-Roy-Stoneman-KP-Sangakara is a useful top 5.