• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2008

Woodsy

A win today and its promotion to the C division for us. Just got to beat local rivals Lewdown.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The thot plickens re: our 3s - apparently if 3s Skip had picked up the phone to a couple of our guys they had several players waiting in the wings looking for a game. Ah well, hindsight etc...

As for the 2s, we're in a right pickle going into our last match at Sheen Park this weekend, as we contrived to lose to Hook and Southborough in a relegation 6-pointer (or more accurately a 40-pointer!) - a result that moves them out of the relegation zone at our expense. Our top order failed miserably, the top 5 scoring about 50 between us (28 of them to Dan Hirst), and we slumped to 118/8, only for Dingo O'Neil to come in at 10 and hit precisely 50 as we recovered to 206/9.

However, our early bowling was dreadful, and we missed a number of sharp chances - 2 in successive balls just managed to elude me. When I did finally take a simple catch later, I had to admit I was bricking it when I saw it heading towards me - thankfully the buckets were back in working order!

In any case, aided by a ton from their young keeper (dropped 4 times!), they cruised home with about 5 wickets and about 6 overs to spare.

EDIT: In fact, we are still just above H&S in the table, and will stay there even if we lose on Saturday, as long as we pick up at least 6 bonus points. Our league works on points average (to account for abandoned matches) - winner gets 20 points, losing team gets bonus points (up to 5 each batting and bowling).

Last edited:

Woodsy

We secured promotion on sat, our losing draw was enough to seal it although if Thorverton had taken one more wicket it wouldn't of been. Lewdown scored 219ao, although it could of been alot less if there umpire had given there main run scorer out on 15, when he was plum LBW. And we also dropped there 2nd top scorer on 3. We crawled over the line to get a losing draw by finishing on 152-8.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Saturday cricket is all over for me and with an average of 42.odd...

few sundays to play but i'll be glad when its all finished now.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we avoided relegation. Er, by pitching up at the ground only to be met with another deluge, so a nice afternoon spent at the Pub instead!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And so, the denouement of the 2008 season for me, with our end of season dinner in a couple of hours.

:p is the nearest I can get to a "thirsty" smiley!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Finally 2008 can be put to bed following some post-season shenanigans involving the League.

Our First XI, having had some (usually fairly unjust) disciplinary problems in the Premier League in '07, found themselves under scrutiny this season - with other teams obviously told to notify the League as soon as our boys stepped slightly out of line. A couple of extremely minor flashpoints later, and suddenly we were told by the League that our club had to reapply for its place for 2009. Fortunately, we put together an extremely compelling case for and at the AGM, and our application was accepted almost unanimously.

Obviously not wishing to rock the boat at the time (to avoid being chucked out without a vote!), we have since sent a VERY to-the-point letter to the League Committee explaining that their methods were unconstitutional and that their AGM was in fact a shambles - for example the inclusion of "AOB" which is not allowed at an AGM. The League Committee itself is in disarray, with various mini Civil Wars taking place.

Needless to say, we have taken it upon ourselves to "consider our options" for 2010!

cityno1ledgend

2009 is going to be my comeback season in cricket !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Nice one - enjoy it and hopefully we'll get some kind of summer!

2008 actually only saw me miss one match to rain (last game of the season), but the volume of rain we had every midweek meant the pitches were soggy. I long once again for the long hot summer of 2006, which meant hard, dry pitches - ideal for someone like me who relies almost 100% on back foot shots for runs!

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope to join a team next season but it will be hard not to coincide it with work.