• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crawley away

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed

Think my favourite memory was when Jonny C scored twice in injury time. Was that the birth of the 'Jonny C will for score me' song to the tune of Amarillo

I don't think we have ever lost there...

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed

Think my favourite memory was when Jonny C scored twice in injury time. Was that the birth of the 'Jonny C will for score me' song to the tune of Amarillo

I don't think we have ever lost there...
Was that the game with the smoke bomb at the end ?(before it was deemed naughty)Someone had a great photo of that as their avatar..

The food is decent there & the stewards are sensible enough to let away supporters go into the food outlet under the Grandstand..
Always a decent away trip,even though it's a evening again this season..

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Was that the game with the smoke bomb at the end ?(before it was deemed naughty)Someone had a great photo of that as their avatar..

The food is decent there & the stewards are sensible enough to let away supporters go into the food outlet under the Grandstand..
Except last year they had no Bovril, claiming it was impossible to get hold of.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster

Not sure if that was the smoke bomb game, might have been. Both goals were very late right in front of us.

Last year we had to go under the grandstand for food as they (as often happens) completely underestimated the size of the travelling support and ran out of food at the little away kiosk about half an hour before the match started. I remember being one of the first in and they literally had 4 pies in a warming cabinet. The thought that people might want something to eat about 7.15 / 7.30 was clearly a surprise.

Wonder if Christian Eriksen will be in the crowd this year?!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Clubs do seem to have a habit of underestimating our support - I wonder if it's to do with advance sales and them thinking that'll make up the bulk of support. With no advance purchase discount it would cost me more to buy in advance than pay on the night so the only "saving" is in terms of the time saved at the world's slowest ticket counter.

I remember a few seasons back when we played Oxford on a Tuesday night their refreshment people said they were told we were bringing 50 (!!!). The lowest away crowd I can remember being a part of was 74, and that was at Grays (ugh), on a Monday night (ugh), live on Sky (ugh), a week after we'd played there in the FA Trophy (ugh) and with our season over (ugh).

Information

Eriksen may be a bit busy

Dortmund v Tottenham
Tues Nov 21st ko 745

fred binneys head

Clubs do seem to have a habit of underestimating our support - I wonder if it's to do with advance sales and them thinking that'll make up the bulk of support. With no advance purchase discount it would cost me more to buy in advance than pay on the night so the only "saving" is in terms of the time saved at the world's slowest ticket counter.

I remember a few seasons back when we played Oxford on a Tuesday night their refreshment people said they were told we were bringing 50 (!!!). The lowest away crowd I can remember being a part of was 74, and that was at Grays (ugh), on a Monday night (ugh), live on Sky (ugh), a week after we'd played there in the FA Trophy (ugh) and with our season over (ugh).
And West Brom away in 1991.

Oldsmobile-88

And West Brom away in 1991.
A classic underestimation of traveling support.It was the 1st game of the season & a relatively easy one to get to for any Grecian fans..They did not open the away end & from memory about 1,000 turned up to be shoe horned into about 800 seats in section of the Grandstand.People were sat on the steps(something which would not be tolerated now)It was pay at the turnstile of course in those days.
I spoke to a steward about how many were expected & he was told between 100-150,which was taken from the average following the previous season.

Torquay played there 2 weeks later & The away end was open for them,even though they only took 400.

In mitigation it was the Baggies 1st game at that level..

fred binneys head

It was also Bally's first game in charge and yes, we had over 1,000 there with 800 seats. Where I was there were 3 people for every 2 seats and others were sat on the steps as you say.

Still remember the celebration when Cooper's equalising volley went in - the away end went up like a Baghdad market.

eurogrecian

Was that the game with the smoke bomb at the end ?
It was.

Amazingly, Crawley produced a DVD of the match which I have.
I have only ever watched the last 5 minutes (dozens of times!). The rest of the match was pants, but what a day out!