• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You’re fine with it, clearly.

It’s just something I intuit, perhaps I’m wrong. I don’t know.
That’s the point: you don’t know. Which in effect means you have no idea why you think people will be ‘reeling’. Why is that, because it’s something that might become the norm that’s different to how it is now?

InTheBigBank

Resigned
That’s the point: you don’t know. Which in effect means you have no idea why you think people will be ‘reeling’. Why is that, because it’s something that might become the norm that’s different to how it is now?
There's lots of stuff I have no idea about, but you know sometimes - as human being with a functioning brain - you just have a feeling about something? But you can't necessarily confirm that with irrefutable evidence.

That's all it is.

Opinion, speculation, perspective are some things you might call it.

tavyred

There is always a lag, but it’s encouraging to see that hospitalisations aren’t rising in line with the big uptick in infections yet, Whitty says they’ve gone up by around 10% in London, but that’s probably more to do with only 61% of adults in London being vaccinated.
Here’s hoping we like SA peak quickly with omicron and its as mild as they say it is.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is always a lag, but it’s encouraging to see that hospitalisations aren’t rising in line with the big uptick in infections yet, Whitty says they’ve gone up by around 10% in London, but that’s probably more to do with only 61% of adults in London being vaccinated.
Here’s hoping we like SA peak quickly with omicron and its as mild as they say it is.
10% increase on an already small number isn't too bad either.

angelic upstart

Agreed, we all hope it's mild! It's why I am holding off the third jab until the new year. My reasoning is, I only had my second jab at the end of July, I've just had Covid and I don't think I need it yet as a result.

Antony Moxey

Agreed, we all hope it's mild! It's why I am holding off the third jab until the new year. My reasoning is, I only had my second jab at the end of July, I've just had Covid and I don't think I need it yet as a result.
I might be completely wrong on this (read: pretty much guaranteed I’m wrong on this!) but if you’ve had Covid don’t you have to wait for a certain length of time before you can have a booster, so is it not out of your hands anyway as to when you can have it?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I might be completely wrong on this (read: pretty much guaranteed I’m wrong on this!) but if you’ve had Covid don’t you have to wait for a certain length of time before you can have a booster, so is it not out of your hands anyway as to when you can have it?
You're right. 28 after a positive test.

tavyred

10% increase on an already small number isn't too bad either.
Data out of SA this morning saying that in comparison to the delta hospitalisation rate of 19%, omicron is coming in at 1.7%. As a result their hospitalisation rate is plummeting.
SA isn’t the U.K. of course.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Data out of SA this morning saying that in comparison to the delta hospitalisation rate of 19%, omicron is coming in at 1.7%. As a result their hospitalisation rate is plummeting.
Excellent. I agree with those who say we can't use SA data as gospel but all the signs are pointing to Omicron being much milder - the data must mean something.

My guess is that the government are reluctant to give us too much good news regarding data in the fear that people will not bother getting the booster on that basis.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

1.7 % of astomonical number is still a large number.