• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Controversial Footballers

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nastiest footballer I've seen was Vinny Jones. A real borderline nutjob who would have Joey Barton anytime.
I'm presuming you mean on the pitch?

Mark Dennis, Gerry Taggart, Terry Hurlock et al would sh*t on Jones and Barton from a great height.

Mackster

I'm presuming you mean on the pitch?

Mark Dennis, Gerry Taggart, Terry Hurlock et al would sh*t on Jones and Barton from a great height.
Those fellas definitely fit the sterotype of typical hardman, but none of them had Vinny's psychotic streak. I remember a two-footed deliberate lunge that ended Gary Stevens career and he really couldn't give a f*ck. Vinnie's book is a good read of someone who is really close to the edge.

angelic upstart

Which Gary Stevens? Everton or Spurs.

Majago

I know he's not playing anymore (retired far too early) but surprised to see no mention of Stan Collymore.

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wise - with his little rat's head on him- would always top my list.

ecfcandy

what about that Ellison chap who played fo Chester, he was very controversial!!

DB9

I suppose if you want controversial you could argue for Bosman, That obscure Belgian 2nd or 3rd division footballer who by going to the European court of human rights changed the whole face of football by arguing for his right to join another club as a free agent without his club demanding a fee when his contract was up, Thus giving players the power they have over clubs and able to get massive signing on fee's and wages when all their new clubs had to do is sit and wait until a players contract was up sign them for free

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
"a stream of invective" (Roy Keane). Ooh, mama, watch out!

"Most hated footballers since 1992" would be a better title for this. If Ashley Cole and Roy Keane are as controversial as it gets, it's not very controversial, but a lot of people do hate them. Although I'd argue more hate John Terry than them.

Did anyone mention Peter Storey? Not much football talent, a hatchet man of the first order on the pitch, and a criminal record to put your average small town gangster to shame. They don't make 'em like that anymore - thank God.

Last edited:

rogerc

I know he's not playing anymore (retired far too early) but surprised to see no mention of Stan Collymore.
but he is the star entry in "Dogging guide for beginners"

southy

Robin Friday and Stan Bowles both did'nt give a f*ck about anything or anyone.