• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Contracts for next season

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This may seem a bit premature but I'm sure this is something that Matt Taylor will already be thinking about. After two close seasons with a lot of comings and goings we are in a strong position where almost all the players we want to keep are already under contract for next season. As well as our loanees I would expect Daniel, Dyer, Atangana and Seymour to leave and I would be very surprised if Ray is still a City player next season - that only really leaves a decision to be made about whether Rowe has done enough to earn a new contract.
However, there are a whole host of youngsters for whom the future is not clear. I assume Cox, Lee and Pond are already under contract for next season but presume decisions will need to made about whether we want to keep the likes of Arthur, Dodd, Johnson, Iseguan and Veale. Then looking at the other players still in the academy, Lilley and Hanson have both been in the first team squad for cup games so are presumably likely to be offered professional deals alongside one or two others.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
This may seem a bit premature but I'm sure this is something that Matt Taylor will already be thinking about. After two close seasons with a lot of comings and goings we are in a strong position where almost all the players we want to keep are already under contract for next season. As well as our loanees I would expect Daniel, Dyer, Atangana and Seymour to leave and I would be very surprised if Ray is still a City player next season - that only really leaves a decision to be made about whether Rowe has done enough to earn a new contract.
However, there are a whole host of youngsters for whom the future is not clear. I assume Cox, Lee and Pond are already under contract for next season but presume decisions will need to made about whether we want to keep the likes of Arthur, Dodd, Johnson, Iseguan and Veale. Then looking at the other players still in the academy, Lilley and Hanson have both been in the first team squad for cup games so are presumably likely to be offered professional deals alongside one or two others.
Ray is contracted for next season so I wouldn't waste your time on being surprised there. The four you've mentioned are fairly obvious with Big Nige being the only one with any kind of possible debate and that debate only comes about if we completely blow this glorious situation we find ourselves in and end up in League 2 next season. Past that, it always comes down to who the vultures are circling over. From last summer, Jay has gone completely off the boil due to his positional adjustment and, whilst we get him in flashes, Key has been nowhere near as consistent as he was last season and would the sort of move that was being touted last season (Sunderland) be worth his while seeing as how we should be playing in the same division as them next season. I'd be more concerned about who is going to whipped away from our defensive unit. Stubbs has been immense since his return from injury and will always get admiring looks. Of 'our own' Alex Hartridge is the one I fear being snatched away from us most. He gets better and better and more and more reliable with every game. A very good trait for a defender.

Pobbop

I think Taylor and Atananga will probably be surplus, think we'll keep Rowe for central midfield, think there's a player in there. Yet with the other 2 gone, reckon we can try and get a solid midfielder in. Think we'll have numbers with Kite to come back. In the end hopefully we'll just be bringing in quality, same with the strikers. Ray will probably be on loan for much of the season, we have enough centre-halves, and he'll want to play. Hey I'm sure we wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to go.

grecIAN Harris

I think Taylor and Atananga will probably be surplus, think we'll keep Rowe for central midfield, think there's a player in there. Yet with the other 2 gone, reckon we can try and get a solid midfielder in. Think we'll have numbers with Kite to come back. In the end hopefully we'll just be bringing in quality, same with the strikers. Ray will probably be on loan for much of the season, we have enough centre-halves, and he'll want to play. Hey I'm sure we wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to go.
Taylor, I think you'll find, is still in contract. The club will stand by him with regards his injury and he would have been Callum Rowe had it not been for his injury, getting his chance and proving his worth.

jimbo-gould

What’s Brown’s contract situation?

Memphis09

Taylor, I think you'll find, is still in contract. The club will stand by him with regards his injury and he would have been Callum Rowe had it not been for his injury, getting his chance and proving his worth.
He was signed on a three year deal

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ray is contracted for next season so I wouldn't waste your time on being surprised there. The four you've mentioned are fairly obvious with Big Nige being the only one with any kind of possible debate and that debate only comes about if we completely blow this glorious situation we find ourselves in and end up in League 2 next season. Past that, it always comes down to who the vultures are circling over. From last summer, Jay has gone completely off the boil due to his positional adjustment and, whilst we get him in flashes, Key has been nowhere near as consistent as he was last season and would the sort of move that was being touted last season (Sunderland) be worth his while seeing as how we should be playing in the same division as them next season. I'd be more concerned about who is going to whipped away from our defensive unit. Stubbs has been immense since his return from injury and will always get admiring looks. Of 'our own' Alex Hartridge is the one I fear being snatched away from us most. He gets better and better and more and more reliable with every game. A very good trait for a defender.
Just because Ray is under contract doesn't mean it's guaranteed he will still be at City next season. After all Rory McCardle had a contract at City for this season.

Colesman Ballz

Just because Ray is under contract doesn't mean it's guaranteed he will still be at City next season. After all Rory McCardle had a contract at City for this season.
Perhaps Orient could be persuaded to part with a fee for him then ! :)

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are I think right on the money with your analysis. I agree about Ray I think he is a solid enough L2 player as is Jonathan Grounds. The latter, age and recent injuries will hasten his departure although he has been an excellent squad player for us. Regards Ray I think he will seek an alternative rather than being 5th choice Centre Half with a year left on his contract. I cant see him being at pre-season training unless basically no other club fancies him.
It could be seen as even more premature but the issue relating to contracts will be a real challenge the following year. The season after next (assuming we dont receive acceptable offers this summer) many of our key players will be out of contract including Jevani and Stubbsy. Also Sweenz and Josh Key. Pretty much all our defence! I also think Sparkes can be added to the list from memory. I appreciate many will say that's way too far into the future but if some cant be persuaded to sign new contracts this summer we will have critical players leaving on free transfers (accepting Key and Sparkes will be compensation tribunals)

Rosencrantz

I think the way I would put it with George Ray is not that I very surprised if he is still here, rather that I wouldn't be very surprised if he was not 😉.

Otherwise I don't see a large turnover of players as we had last summer. If anyone gets sold on then we try to replace with quality. Other than the goalkeeping situation and more quality striking options to be looked at, we are not in a bad situation.