• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Congratulations

blue walter

Hi another Pompey fan here. I thought I would just like to post a comment concerning yesterdays game with our team at Fratton Park. Although I do disagree with some of the comments on here to a degree I would like congratulate your visiting supporters who were very vocal and backed their team throughout the game. We seem to get clubs bringing their biggest followings to Fratton but I was surprised at the turn out of your following. I also thought your team played very well especially when our side surrendered the initiative by bringing on our subs with Ertl being a defensive move. Our home support has not been at its best in recent times, in vocal terms, but we will not be out shouted and your following brought out the best in our crowd in those last 20 minutes. With the Exeter fans making a racket the Pompey fans responded and the noise, along with the exciting game on the pitch, made it a credit to League 2.
I note one or two posts criticise the Referee but we have had some real dodgy refs down here this season and I thought that although yesterdays ref was not the worst he was not very good. We have a theory that the refs that come to Fratton want to show they are not intimidated by the large noisy home support and so their judgement is swayed into giving most decisions to the away side. The worst case of this was against Chesterfield which we lost 2-0 and had a player sent off in a game we should have won hands down. We had three penalty shouts that were nailed on and if the first two had been given it would have also incurred an away player being sent off. Even the Chesterfield players and management said they got very lucky in that game and could not understand why the ref did not give the penalties. Yesterdays ref was not as bad as that but I think he gave your lot a fair bit of leeway in the first half. Our first goal was a fluke and the player has said it was meant to be a cross. The second seems the be the most contentious with your lot because you seem to think that as the player was on the floor when the move progressed the goal should not have stood. I saw it rather differently though. My seat is just on the half way line and the incident was right in front of me and, in my view, it was just two players going for the ball and your player lost out in the tussle and the moved progressed with your player still on the deck. The speed of the move meant that had your player got up he would not have influenced the game because he was behind the play that lead to the goal. I am not saying your player feigned injury in this instant but we see so much of it these days so unless the ref has any reason to be concerned about how injured the player is he is right to allow play to continue. Some of your followers say that a Portsmouth player committed a foul on the Exeter player but I did not see anything other than two players going for the ball with Pompey play getting to it first. The third goal was a delight for all football followers to see, unless it is against your team, where the winger skins the full back and puts in a brilliant cross for the center forward to bullet head the ball in to the back of the net.
I think overall Pompey deserved to win and I thought we eased off too early and too much and allowed your side back into the game. Having said that I think, along with Oxford, Exeter is one the best sides we have seen down here this season and played some lovely football at times and I think will be at the top come end of season, but below us hopefully.

motorservices

Didnt think you would have seen your players elbow to JMTs face, ho hum football fans with differing views

Also TBH the first 72 mins was prob the worst ive seen in a long time, had yesterdays game gone on for 5 more minutes we would have taken all 3 points

nice ground, great support, but i dont think you will finish above us and you wont make the play offs

Anyway thats not sour grapes (i never thought we would win anyway) like you said first goal was a fluke, second should never have stood due to the elbow and the 3rd was poor defending

Carson wasnt great yesterday, second choice keeper??

blue walter

Didnt think you would have seen your players elbow to JMTs face, ho hum football fans with differing views

Also TBH the first 72 mins was prob the worst ive seen in a long time, had yesterdays game gone on for 5 more minutes we would have taken all 3 points

nice ground, great support, but i dont think you will finish above us and you wont make the play offs

Anyway thats not sour grapes (i never thought we would win anyway) like you said first goal was a fluke, second should never have stood due to the elbow and the 3rd was poor defending

Carson wasnt great yesterday, second choice keeper??
You are obviously accusing me of bias but I can only say what I have seen and my view was very good sitting on the North bank. I doubt your view was very good looking at it from the Milton end unless, of course, you were in the same part of the ground as me. As for saying the game was rubbish I am afraid you belittle the efforts of your team. I don't think you are allowing for the conditions and playing against the wind your team done well to keep Pompey at bay and playing some attractive football in the process. We thought that your side would come out in the second half to use the wind advantage but so did Pompey and countered this by upping the offensive tempo and deservedly scoring two more goals. It was not until we were 3-0 up that our manager made his only mistake, in my opinion, and changed the way we were playing which let your team gain the upper hand. As for which team will finish higher is any ones guess. Exeter look to have a good footballing side and a manager that knows his players and, it appears, the club has good support. Portsmouth are improving and seem to be getting up a head of steam with the players getting used to playing at Fratton Park and have the best support in this league. So who knows?

motorservices

Arent all football supports bias?? JMT (or anyothercity player for that matter) would never go to ground unless a foul has occured, i think only the blue side of the ground saw nothing wrong, makes no odds, we finished strongly, and on another day the come back would have happened.

Best support (by a country mile) but bradford, muff have both had large (league 2 standard) crowds and both have/are finding it hard to get out, im sure your stay in the basement wont be long, but i dont think it will be a walk in the park

i will say again tho, lovely ground, great support, couldnt see many empty seats, fair play on that

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Portsmouth to be fair are in a different league when it comes to support, 3 times the size of bog standard Argyle and bigger than Bradford too imo

Last edited:

blue walter

Arent all football supports bias?? JMT (or anyothercity player for that matter) would never go to ground unless a foul has occured, i think only the blue side of the ground saw nothing wrong, makes no odds, we finished strongly, and on another day the come back would have happened.

Best support (by a country mile) but bradford, muff have both had large (league 2 standard) crowds and both have/are finding it hard to get out, im sure your stay in the basement wont be long, but i dont think it will be a walk in the park

i will say again tho, lovely ground, great support, couldnt see many empty seats, fair play on that
Had the game gone on another 5 minutes you may well of got something out of the game but its all ifs and buts now. Had we not changed the way we were playing and carried on you may well have had a real battering, again who knows. The replays don't really show the incident involving JMT so I can only go on what I saw. I hope I can get to the match at your place as it is lovely part of the country but tickets are hard to come by Im'e afraid.

Bittners a Legend

Interesting thoughts blue walter. Regarding the incident in the lead-up to the second goal what I would add is that our players almost never complain to referees (on the direction of Tisdale and Perryman) and I can think of only a couple of occasions at most in the last seven years when any of our players have ever confronted a ref like they did yesterday. Rightly, or wrongly, they certainly felt aggrieved and regardless of whether there was a foul according to the rules as they are the ref should have stopped the play (Moore-Taylor definitely went down holding his head).

I do agree about one occasion in the first half when Tommy Doherty smashed Holmes (who I thought was quite impressive) quite clearly with no intention of playing the ball and was very lucky to get away without a card.

EDIT: the conditions made it hard to surmise how decent a side Pompey are but I thought that between 45-70 they were as good as we were bad. The third was a well worked goal for sure.

Last edited:

rp42

From where I was stood in the Milton end you clearly saw the pompey players arm outstretched and gave our player what looked like a forearm smash...WWE not a patch on what happened yesterday.