• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Communication - lack of??

Daughter of I_M

yes I was. And I agree that they wernt at there best. But my arguement is that to slate a player who has been getting wide praise prior to saturday is showing a complete and utter short sightedness! Cast your mind back before the Chesterfield game, would u of shown the same negativity! I think not.
Meow!!! :p

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
yes I was. And I agree that they wernt at there best. But my arguement is that to slate a player who has been getting wide praise prior to saturday is showing a complete and utter short sightedness! Cast your mind back before the Chesterfield game, would u of shown the same negativity! I think not.
Its not about showing negativity or short sigtedness, I am a firm believer in constructive criticism hence why you rarely see me rare off on these boards because 99% of the time Seaborne does a good job but what we are trying to get at here is, yesterday (with my alleged short sightedness!) when their keeper was being treated and we waited 3 minutes for a corner to be taken, Seaborne said about 4 words in the whole time to the players in the box and they werent in full voice either and we were then trailing 2-0 at that time, as a captain he should be taking each player by the scruff of the neck and and firing them up whilst their minds were at rest. That is constructive criticism, not being negative.

Last edited:

Spit

It's funny, I kind of see us as the Arsenal of League 2 ie. we play some great football, can beat anyone on our day, but seem to lose to completely random teams.

We do play some good football but sometimes spending 3/4 of the game passing it between the back four doesn't work, Chesterfield found us out and look what happened... no plan B.... Pretty football don't win prizes....Arsenal!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
A post questioning whther Danny Seaborne shouts enough is hardly that negative. Looby said that she noticed it at Barnet, so she is not kneejerk reacting to a defeat, it's a genuinely good question asking for others' opinions. It may be the case that it doesn't natter, but in my limited playing experience central defenders do need to dhout a bit, though at professional level you can't always be heard that easily.

As for Wenger's comments about Gallas, would he have said the same when Tony Adams or Patrick Vieira was playing for him? And weren't they better then?

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
From my experience a good captain comes into his own when the team is up against it.

A leader by example is more effective than one who shouts continuously, thinking of a Keane, Robson or Adams.

Having said that, communication is an important part of the job too, at the right time.

loobygrecian

I can't believe the negativity! Exeter City are far and away exceeding all expectations. Yes they had a slip yesterday, but didnt Manchester United have a similar slip a few seasons ago. Get the hell over it! Regarding Dan Seabourne, I think that he is excelling as both a centre half and a captain and it is interesting that the creator of this thread quoted the Barnet game. I normally stand in the big bank, underhill gave the opportunity to stand on the side and it allowed me to see Seabourne in a different perspective. Minus Gill who was exceptional, Seabourne gave a flawless performance and showed how much better he was that Taylor. He also displayed the characteristics needed as a captain that we have been lacking since Glenn Cronin left.
I am by no means "slating" Seaborne at all, just a mere observation and one i thought suitable for discussion. To be honest, i have thought for a while that Danny has been on a little on the quiet side and i thought this before the Chesterfield game.

Obviously you and i have different opinions on what slating a player is, i rarely if ever spout off about the team or a specific player.

In all jobs communication is vital to try and get the job done and i just maybe think Danny needs to sort that out a bit, i have absolutely no doubt about his ability as a player, but just wish he could perhaps speak up a bit more.

Yeovilgrecian

We do play some good football but sometimes spending 3/4 of the game passing it between the back four doesn't work
You are so right it doesn't work, which is why we are languishing in 19th in league 2....oh hang on.....

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

A post questioning whther Danny Seaborne shouts enough is hardly that negative. It may be the case that it doesn't natter, but in my limited playing experience central defenders do need to dhout a bit, though at professional level you can't always be heard that easily.
Lol - nice Freudian slip there Antman!

:D

Lol - nice Freudian slip there Antman!

:D
In what way is that "freudian"? You clearly misunderstand the term and probably have no idea who Freud was. Well Clement perhaps!

If you are going to try to use references to make yourself look clever, at least make sure they are correct.

Thanks
Chris

This post is genuine.

surf123

I am by no means "slating" Seaborne at all, just a mere observation and one i thought suitable for discussion. To be honest, i have thought for a while that Danny has been on a little on the quiet side and i thought this before the Chesterfield game.

Obviously you and i have different opinions on what slating a player is, i rarely if ever spout off about the team or a specific player.

In all jobs communication is vital to try and get the job done and i just maybe think Danny needs to sort that out a bit, i have absolutely no doubt about his ability as a player, but just wish he could perhaps speak up a bit more.[/QUOTE

Where we sit at the game usually all you can hear is Seaborne shouting commands at the players with his arms flying everywhere.. Especailly Deano and Tully. He organises and commands the line like he should. Gets players to tuck in and mark which is his role as CB. We were also there on saturday and yes he lost it for a minute but as captain regained his composure quickly, don't you think that is the mark of a good captain. He shouldn't need to shout at every player in the box or get them by the scruff of the neck as someone suggested, they are paid professionals and know what needs to be done. Plus this is not Exeter or Tis / Seaborne style. Players like Edwards have played at higher levels and ALL 11 know what to do they don't need to be told. It seems to have been working all season ( Joint second ) so why knock it ?