• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Finances

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not about how much we have in the bank, or even how much income we have... it's about how much is dedicated to the playing budget. Outside that is beyond the manager's remit. No-one seems to know for sure how our playing budget stacks up, but seems to be a broad consensus that it's well outside the top 6 or 7.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not about how much we have in the bank, or even how much income we have... it's about how much is dedicated to the playing budget. Outside that is beyond the manager's remit. No-one seems to know for sure how our playing budget stacks up, but seems to be a broad consensus that it's well outside the top 6 or 7.
The Club do know where our playing budget (P1) stacks up, as all clubs are told by the EFL where they are in their division though not any figures of other clubs' budgets. But the size of the playing budget (and the wider football budget including coaches, support staff etc.) is important but not the only determinant, otherwise the richest clubs would always win everything and Accrington would presumably be in the drop zone. Choices on player recruitment to provide a balanced squad and good management of those resources are essential.

And luck with injuries may sometimes be the most important factor. It's at least arguable that we would heave pipped Wycombe for the third automatic spot if TB and JMT had not missed so many games.

rifraf

The 2 teams in the play-off final each get 30% of takings

Boyo

For the next few seasons we have surplus cash topping up our playing budget. Unless we generate additional income through transfers (or whatever) then after a few years we return to our base budget, which is by all accounts quite small. We are heavily reliant on generating transfer income to supplement future playing budgets. Tisdale got that. The next manager will need to understand that as well.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Club do know where our playing budget (P1) stacks up, as all clubs are told by the EFL where they are in their division though not any figures of other clubs' budgets. But the size of the playing budget (and the wider football budget including coaches, support staff etc.) is important but not the only determinant, otherwise the richest clubs would always win everything and Accrington would presumably be in the drop zone. Choices on player recruitment to provide a balanced squad and good management of those resources are essential.

And luck with injuries may sometimes be the most important factor. It's at least arguable that we would heave pipped Wycombe for the third automatic spot if TB and JMT had not missed so many games.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Our CB injuries obliged us to play Storey, who has been a revelation. All teams suffer from injuries - it's a squad game nowadays. Losing Lee Holmes was a blow, though. I was hoping Sparkes would come into the picture, but maybe not his time yet.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 2 teams in the play-off final each get 30% of takings
Not so, they get 25% of the net takings. See Rule 6 especially Rule 6.3.2.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-play-offs/playoff-rules--regulations/

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The size of the playing budget (and the wider football budget including coaches, support staff etc.) is important but not the only determinant.
Sure, but it does determine what can be considered a successful season. 2nd place for man city would be a failure... 15th for huddersfield would be a massive success. Think expectations here are a bit out of whack, unless I'm massively off with my understanding of the budget. This information is publically available?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sure, but it does determine what can be considered a successful season. 2nd place for man city would be a failure... 15th for huddersfield would be a massive success. Think expectations here are a bit out of whack, unless I'm massively off with my understanding of the budget. This information is publically available?
No, it's regarded by most clubs who are not PLCs as highly confidential (PLCs publish more information, though always in arrears). As I said clubs are told their ordinal number within their division (5th, 11th or whatever) but do not know the quantum of any other Club's budget unless that club have chosen to reveal this for their own reasons or the directors or managers of the clubs share the information privately with each other. One suspect this latter is fairly widespread, but you never know.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In pre season I went to the Q&A session with Tis, Moxey and JMT, Tis mentioned that we had a playing budget around mid table in League 2. Since that we had sold Wheeler and brought in Stockley, Boateng and the two West Brom lads on loan.

How 4th place isn't deemed good enough perplexes me somewhat. People are happy to throw in the Accrington example of budget not meaning everything but that doesn't mean the 22 sides in this league with a lower budget should be throwing their toys out the pram.

We've performed really well for the past 18 months so for people to want a change in manager for (obvious) non footballing reasons, to me, seems ill informed.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
In pre season I went to the Q&A session with Tis, Moxey and JMT, Tis mentioned that we had a playing budget around mid table in League 2. Since that we had sold Wheeler and brought in Stockley, Boateng and the two West Brom lads on loan.

How 4th place isn't deemed good enough perplexes me somewhat. People are happy to throw in the Accrington example of budget not meaning everything but that doesn't mean the 22 sides in this league with a lower budget should be throwing their toys out the pram.

We've performed really well for the past 18 months so for people to want a change in manager for (obvious) non footballing reasons, to me, seems ill informed.
See Edwards post #254 on the 'So, what now for Tisdale?' thread. He sums it all up perfectly. That's why many fans want him to leave.