• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2023

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I was so convinced we wouldn't play that when one of my players was poached by the 2s I didn't put much effort into finding a replacement (I don't poach from the 4s unless we're really short) so we took the field against Valley End with 10. We had to forfeit the toss and unsurprisingly given conditions we were inserted. My recent good form wasn't allowed to continue as my opening partner decided not to run when he chipped the ball into the vacant mid-wicket area. I ran 2/3 of the way, cursed, turned slowly and ran back and even then it took a direct hit to get me out for 4. We did though look good for a big score but got bogged down and ended up bowled out for 164.

This was never likely to be enough and they got home for the loss of four wickets.

This week availability looks terrible, good time to be travelling to take on the side in second place in the table.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was so convinced we wouldn't play that when one of my players was poached by the 2s I didn't put much effort into finding a replacement (I don't poach from the 4s unless we're really short) so we took the field against Valley End with 10. We had to forfeit the toss and unsurprisingly given conditions we were inserted. My recent good form wasn't allowed to continue as my opening partner decided not to run when he chipped the ball into the vacant mid-wicket area. I ran 2/3 of the way, cursed, turned slowly and ran back and even then it took a direct hit to get me out for 4. We did though look good for a big score but got bogged down and ended up bowled out for 164.

This was never likely to be enough and they got home for the loss of four wickets.

This week availability looks terrible, good time to be travelling to take on the side in second place in the table.
Do you run faster than Adam Rossington ? ;)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
My recent good form wasn't allowed to continue as my opening partner decided not to run when he chipped the ball into the vacant mid-wicket area. I ran 2/3 of the way, cursed, turned slowly and ran back and even then it took a direct hit to get me out for 4.
I recall leaving a partner high and dry in an U-13 match at school, but I think my record would bear inspection after that. In later years I once ran myself out when the ball, having gone past the keeper, stopped dead in the elephant grass beyond him.

manc grecian

Failed to chase down 155 tonight at the Tedburn recreation ground. Half 6 start left it a bit murky at the end.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We managed somehow to get four sides out on Saturday, only to turn up at Westfield CC to take on Woking & Horsell and watch the rain for a couple of hours before heading off.

Every match in our league was rained off.

This week, weather permitting, we have another tough match against Malden Wanderers, who ran through us (38 all out FFS) earlier in the season.

Alistair20000

Failed to chase down 155 tonight at the Tedburn recreation ground. Half 6 start left it a bit murky at the end.
What time did the game end ?

I would have brought some torches had I known you were playing.

How is the pitch playing these days ?

manc grecian

What time did the game end ?

I would have brought some torches had I known you were playing.

How is the pitch playing these days ?
The game ended just after 9! Pitch is artificial.

Played a 40 over game at Tipton on Sunday. Made 62 in a total of 159. They chased them down with 8 overs to spare.

I captained and one of my bowlers got the yips after 7 balls when I had him down to bowl the full 8.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Well we comfortably had four sides by the time of selection on Tuesday night with a few spare. Fast forward 24 hours and we've had to pull our 4s. One player who was listed as available on our selection app then changed his status on Wednesday morning, two then pulled out having test positive for the China Virus, then other shenanigans began.

One guy who started playing late last season, the uncle of my normal VC (who has been out injured all season), brought in the two brothers I've spoken about above, who are now regularly in our 1s. Last week he also pulled in another guy to help us out as we were short, then said he was keen to play regularly. On Tuesday night he sent me a text confirming he, his mate and the two brothers were all available. Yesterday he sent me a text asking if his mate was playing, I said he was next reserve as we were waiting on a player transfer to go through. He then said he'd step aside, or ask one of the brothers to do so - I replied that he should speak to the 4s skipper about standing aside, but that the 1s needed the brothers. I'm not sure what was so controversial about that, but a minute later I get a text saying none of them were now available.

With someone else then pulling out of the 4s due to work and unable to find replacements, we've had to pull the game on account of this tantrum. And that's four players who if I have my way will never set foot on our turf again.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I came away on Saturday absolutely fuming on a couple of accounts (neither to do with our oppo who, while competitive, were a decent bunch) - firstly the result. We bowled really well, utilising the early damp conditions although Malden Wanderers dug in well later on as the pitch dried to reach 161/9 off their 45.

In reply they had the very quick young lad who bowled so well against us earlier in the season when they rolled us for 38, but aside from me holing out to long on off the spinner at the other end for 15 (including a six!), we were cruising along. I'm not sure what happened, though, as needing barely three an over our batsmen decided to stop scoring runs and we lost wickets at crucial times. They brought their quick back at the death and the line he was bowling we had ample opportunity to just guide the ball to 3rd man for a single, but our batsmen insisted on trying to swing the bat instead. With five to win off two overs we managed a single off the quick, but with four to win our ninth wicket fell when our batsman holed out to long on, then our 11 played and missed at two balls before only managing a single off the last to lose by two runs.

Then, after coming off and sorting out scorecards with the oppo, I looked up to find all my team mates had buggered off, leaving me to collect the boundary markers, unwind the sightscreens, tidy up and bring the trolley of stuff back to the groundsman's garage. Given I get to the ground early each week to set everything up, the least I expect is for the team to tidy everything away again. Words will be had this week as we have another home game, a crucial game against Epsom. If I end up clearing stuff away again then the next home game our team will find nothing set up prior to the match.

Alistair20000

I visualise you as a nudger and nurdler rather than a big six hitter Jason :unsure: