• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Cricket 2011

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
But there is "me".

Heaver

Playing for the mighty CWCC still. Had a decent start to the season myself with a few 50+ scores in only a handful of games.

Beating Whitchurh first league game last week by 190runs. Put into bat on a wet track we scored 250-5 and rolled them over for 62. 17no for myself coming in for the last two overs and had a sharp game behind the stumps aswell. The Sunday we played Ashburton at home and skittled them for 149 and knocked off the runs just 1wicket down against what i felt was the best bowling attack ive faced yet. I scored a battling 54 after taking a few knocks to elbows, shoulders, back and even the Gluteus Maximus. For all those unfamilar with the term it is your rear end or arse to many of you ;) (dont know why i was playing that way around) and our new signing M.Taylor 79no had a pretty decent debut.

Had a mixed weekend just gone losing on Saturday away at Whimple they scored 217-8 and we were bowled out for 148 in the final over after a terrible and i mean shocking LBW decision. Cant really complain because over the 92overs they probably deserved to win the game but after battling that far and for a good game of cricket to be ruined by their umpire who had a pretty poor game throughout left a sour taste in our mouths. Only the 4 scored my first 1figure of the season haha but took a pretty decent catch behind the stumps. Sunday we played down The Maer (Exmouth CC) and successfully chased 212 off the final ball of the innings, largely thanks again to a certain M.Taylor 98no ;). With 10 needed off final over and 3off final ball he hit it for 6 to bring an end to what was a great game, wish every cricket game went down to the wire like that. I took 2-30 in 8overs on what was a batters paradise and 1no at the end.

This week we welcome Bridestowe to Fortress Winslade, never played against them before so not sure what to expect and we have a free date on Sunday so i will be indulging in a few ciders watching Blackpool beat the Mancs ;) a man can dream

ecfcandy

Started with my club this weekend just gone...

2 defeats against Braunton and Filleigh in the NDL.

Im not playing , taking a summer off.

What side are you playing for in the NDL then? I have plyed 2 and won two against Bideford and Heathcott.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the 1s this week - home to Morden who are currently bottom of the table (albeit having only played 1 match).

EDIT: Oh, and I have been roped into some T20 knockabout stuff on Thursday night.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Last night's T20 proved once and for all that any hopes I had of developing into an occasional bowler are well and truly scuppered. Ah well.

Oh, and we have a new player who in conversation with another of our number about Football said "I support Exeter City" - finally a kindred spirit at my club!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Our league record combined for 1s and 2s now reads P6 W6 after another successful weekend.

We beat Morden despite my best efforts on my b'day where I suffered an absolute shocker - every so often you have a game where you end up not wanting the ball even to roll towards you gently, and this was it (although I didn't misfield anything in the latter stages fortunately!). We batted first and looked to be building a decent total - drinks at around 110/1, but Skip Tony got out shortly after for 54, and we found it very difficult to score as the ball softened and gripped on the green early season pitch. I came in at 7 and slashed at one outside off stump - with most normal fields it would have been a one-bounce 4, but they had a man at fly who took it nonchalantly one-handed above his head and that was that, my first duck in (I think) 4 years. We ended up on 195/9.

We bowled well early doors without making a breakthrough and, with probably Shaz's first bad ball of the day, came my disaster - full-t*ss chipped to me at mid-wicket, I thought he had hit it harder than he had and, as the ball died on me, I closed my hands too soon and spilled the sitter. Fortunately while he stayed in a while he barely got the ball off the square.

They were always up with the rate, though, albeit with wickets starting to fall steadily, and come the final over they were 8 down and needed 6 to win. First ball a dot ball. Second ball they attempted a run but were easily run out. Third ball and some controversy. As Tony bowled, the batsman was way out of his ground clearly intent on smacking it out of the ground, so Tony bowled a fast full-t*ss that the batsman missed and was stumped by a mile. However, he was adamant it was a no-ball and, eventually, the umpire at the bowler's end agreed, but the dismissal stood.

I had to go through the Laws this morning to check and, if the no-ball had been called (instead of sheepishly after the dismissal had already been given), we couldn't have got him Run Out, as he wasn't attempting a run - the thing was, though, that while it passed the batsman probably at no-ball height, by the time it passed the popping crease it clearly wasn't, as the keeper took the ball virtually from the off bail and the batsman was a tall lad. So the error would have been in calling the no-ball in the first place.

Anyway, a win's a win. If my "performance" hasn't been enough to see me dropped, we're away at the delightful (!) Balham and Tooting. Yay.

We had Exeter Civil Service away, very tidy little ground, outfield was quick and the wicket was good. We were put into bat and scored 176 AO, when really 200+ was needed, I came in at 9 and hit the dodgiest 15 you will ever see before spooning one right in the air to the keeper, not a good shot.

They started fairly slowly and wickets were falling at a gradual rate, my bowling itself was poor, my accuracy was all over the place but luckily I caught one off my own bowling to finish with 1-17 off 5 overs. Then they started to get closer and closer to 176 and at one stage needed 19 more runs with us needing to get 3 more wickets, close game but eventually we managed to win by 10 runs. 2 wins out of 2 so far but lots of room for improvement.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
This saturday see's me return to proper cricket....

Sandford have made a good start were currently 2nd in the A division looking to get back into the premier.

Id imagine id be in the 2's with not being available for the first month of the season.

wemissmoxey

Im not playing , taking a summer off.
Teddy Turncoat.

From what I've heard you would be in the Saturday 3rds if there were such a team.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Teddy Turncoat.

From what I've heard you would be in the Saturday 3rds if there were such a team.
Billy bullsh*te.