• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club Captain..

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
McCormick was released from jail just one day before the fourth anniversary of the two boys death. The parents were said to be greatly hurt at the timing.

On top of the loss of their sons, the poor father is now in a wheelchair which means those poor people have not only daily memories but a lifetime of toil in front of them.

IJN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very, very sad, but not willing to enter any 'banter' about it.

Simply R.I.P Aaron and Ben.

mac57

Courage is spending every day in a wheelchair knowing you will never see your little boys again!!!!

Grecian_Jay

As I have said before, McCormick has courage if nothing else- he knew what.he would face virtually every time he walked out of the tunnel when he came back to the game and I'm sure seeing the headlines staring back at him yesterday and today won't have passed him by. He has chosen to effectively put himself in the stocks as a free target for public abuse on 50-odd occasions a year - let alone what he goes through away from matches, which being in the public eye he must. How many others would choose to do that?

So much easier to slip quietly away and into another trade in another country.

No getting away from the fact that his crime was pretty awful in the eyes of most, but society dealt with it as it felt fit as far as a formal sentence goes, and whether that fairly reflected it is a separate debate. He has my respect for choosing to try and resurrect his career- I hope he writes about it some day, and passes the earnings from his writings to a suitable foundation or charity.
There is nothing courageous about playing football. End of.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
True but there is something courageous going out in front of thousands of people over the course of a season being reminded of the biggest **** up of your life and what happened as a consequence of those actions.

My issue is that to many fans on both sides of the camp use the death of other people as banter to bite at the other.

Grecian_Jay

True but there is something courageous going out in front of thousands of people over the course of a season being reminded of the biggest **** up of your life and what happened as a consequence of those actions.My issue is that to many fans on both sides of the camp use the death of other people as banter to bite at the other.
Again, no there isn't. He's being very well paid for it. He's not volunterring here.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
He's got a point

IJN

My issue is that to many fans on both sides of the camp use the death of other people as banter to bite at the other.
Exactly right and very well said.

Be it Stanno, Nicholls or Aaron and Ben, it really is a disgusting oneupmanship.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Again, no there isn't. He's being very well paid for it. He's not volunterring here.
No but he could have gone away and hidden somewhere where no one knows him. Instead he has tried to rebuild his life in the profession he is best at where he plays in front of thousands of people every week and especially when playing Exeter is routinely reminded of his actions. In my book that takes courage because he could have hidden away and withered doing something else.

I am not defending what he did and the tragic consequences of those actions, every-time we debate this subject we end up going around in circles.

As for when we play them i hope both sides leave stanno and McCormick well alone. How do you think the family will feel their 2 tragically dead children as football banter? Because that is what it is for some. McCormick will feel the guilt and have on his conscience for the rest of his life. That is nothing compared to what the family have been through and miss out on everyday of their lives though

Grecian_Jay

No but he could have gone away and hidden somewhere where no one knows him. Instead he has tried to rebuild his life in the profession he is best at where he plays in front of thousands of people every week and especially when playing Exeter is routinely reminded of his actions. In my book that takes courage because he could have hidden away and withered doing something else.

I am not defending what he did and the tragic consequences of those actions, every-time we debate this subject we end up going around in circles.

As for when we play them i hope both sides leave stanno and McCormick well alone. How do you think the family will feel their 2 tragically dead children as football banter? Because that is what it is for some. McCormick will feel the guilt and have on his conscience for the rest of his life. That is nothing compared to what the family have been through and miss out on everyday of their lives though
You will always go round in cirlces if you claim McCormick is courageous.

Courage in football annoys me fullstop, even when it comes to commentators saying things like "that was courageous defending" etc.