• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Oxford Utd Matchday Thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
There were a couple of Spurs fans near me that kept saying things like “was expecting a bit of magic from Carroll but not seen it yet”

Neither have we mate

(waits Ian taking this 100% literally)

Bridgy 81

Perhaps Oxford can teach us how to get penalties!
In two games against us they got 3 penalties. In our 46 league games we got 2 penalties awarded.
On a couple of occasions today the ref seemed to change his decision after complaints from the Oxford players.
I think they were for a foul on Mitchell in the first game of the season at Wycombe and for a handball against Cheltenham at Easter.
So just the two penalty awards and none for us at home all season?
That seems a very poor return to me.
I appreciate the more time you’re in your opponent’s box the more chance you have of getting a penalty but it certainly seems to me that most clubs work on drawing fouls to win spot kicks.
Something to practice and improve on for next season I’d suggest.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
There were a couple of Spurs fans near me that kept saying things like “was expecting a bit of magic from Carroll but not seen it yet”

Neither have we mate

(waits Ian taking this 100% literally)
We were talking about Carroll during the game yesterday.

He's ok, wouldn't be overly bothered if he stayed or went.

If he was cheap I'd probably say keep him but I doubt he is, we could probably spend the money more wisely I think.

C j phill

Was it a penalty? probably, but as a good striker he trails his leg just enough to buy the foul.
The problem was Aimson's marking (or rather, lack) of the winger. Unfortunately he put in a performance that was back to that of his dip of a while back, trying to play offside, then flapping his arms at the ref, lino, anyone who he could attract the attention of, trying to get a decision and being a few yards off the player, before trying to get back to him. If he'd tried to get to the player, rather than flapping his arms, he possibly might have been able to give away a tactical foul, outside of the penalty area.

I assume, in part, this was recognised in the post match interview with the manager, where he admitted to mistakes in line up......we all know that Aimson can't play on the right of defence, so why he was out there is a mystery to me.

Grecian Max

We were talking about Carroll during the game yesterday.

He's ok, wouldn't be overly bothered if he stayed or went.

If he was cheap I'd probably say keep him but I doubt he is, we could probably spend the money more wisely I think.
Don't get me wrong, I love a player that keep things ticking over - was a fully signed up Matt Gill superfan

However a player like that, on a large wage - you have to expect more from

His inability to replace McDonald was one of the reasons in retrospect for our struggles; Woods has made an enormous difference

Without the ginger one in midfield yesterday it all went a bit familiar again

Slightly concerning that our football hinges on one role so significantly - I'd be wanting to bring in Woods and an understudy. Love Cole but he's not that pivot type player.

Mid Devon Grecian

The problem was Aimson's marking (or rather, lack) of the winger. Unfortunately he put in a performance that was back to that of his dip of a while back, trying to play offside, then flapping his arms at the ref, lino, anyone who he could attract the attention of, trying to get a decision and being a few yards off the player, before trying to get back to him. If he'd tried to get to the player, rather than flapping his arms, he possibly might have been able to give away a tactical foul, outside of the penalty area.

I assume, in part, this was recognised in the post match interview with the manager, where he admitted to mistakes in line up......we all know that Aimson can't play on the right of defence, so why he was out there is a mystery to me.
And Sweenz was massively exposed on the first goal. At least GC fessed up his mistake.

Sweenz looks like he’s absolutely knackered. Hopefully a bit of R&R over the next couple of months will see him back fit and on form.

andrew p long

Carroll got bigger up on Sky Sports. Our game was one of 5 being covered by a specific pundit - Tim Sherwood.

He said he had Carroll as a young kid at Spurs, he's playing well, too good for this level, ought to be in the Championship at least.

grecIAN Harris

Was it a penalty? probably, but as a good striker he trails his leg just enough to buy the foul.
So if he is trailing his leg he is initiating the contact and therefore fouling Aimson not the other way around. One day referees will get wise to this.............. but probably not in my life time.

grecIAN Harris

And Sweenz was massively exposed on the first goal. At least GC fessed up his mistake.

Sweenz looks like he’s absolutely knackered. Hopefully a bit of R&R over the next couple of months will see him back fit and on form.
Sweenz wasn't exposed, he dallied on the ball and got fcuked over royally because of it. He then got in the way of Jules as he hared back to dig him out of trouble.

grecIAN Harris

What are you on? The non penalty aside, Aimson had Murphy in his pocket. What exactly did Murphy do that was that influential on the game other than dive for the penalty? Not a lot which tells you how much better Aimson played than what you're suggesting.