• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City and Chiefs at home

budegrecian

So Exeter has a Rugby Team ?? I never realised; I always considered Exeter to be a one sport City.
I've got nothing against Rugby, played it at school for a few years, but just thinking back to saturday (& I haven't done much else all week, so far!) we had a fantastic display of passing football which was a joy to watch & then the absolute hysteria when Dunney scored & again at the final whistle. I don't think any game of Rugby, bar a world cup final, could come anywhere near competing with that sort of emotional high.
There must be some strange people around if they would rather opt for watching 30 blokes pushing & shoving in a field, instead of watching City. Each to his own, I guess.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst I'm no rugby fan, I do laugh at some of the comments on here about not knowing any rugby fans or not realising Exeter had a rugby team and the such like. The simple fact is Exeter does have a rugby team and at the moment it is considerably more successful than its football team and regularly pulling in bigger crowds than the football team.

Like it or not, that, at the moment is the way it is, so perhaps we ought to try and be a little less insular and see how we can work with the rugger buggers to see if we both can move forward rather than fighting against each other. The city's big enough for both, so why not see if we can't help each other out if possible.

Whilst I'm no rugby fan, I do laugh at some of the comments on here about not knowing any rugby fans or not realising Exeter had a rugby team and the such like. The simple fact is Exeter does have a rugby team and at the moment it is considerably more successful than its football team and regularly pulling in bigger crowds than the football team.

Like it or not, that, at the moment is the way it is, so perhaps we ought to try and be a little less insular and see how we can work with the rugger buggers to see if we both can move forward rather than fighting against each other. The city's big enough for both, so why not see if we can't help each other out if possible.
Beat me to it Mr Moxey,. Not even a full house v's the Argyle

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah agreed, we need to sort our attendance out, still, that has nothing to do with rugby.

Rugby is completely irrelevent. What we need is to get more football fans through the gates week in week out.

Boyo

Beat me to it Mr Moxey,. Not even a full house v's the Argyle
Indeed, the Chiefs have averaged over 9,000 in the league this season, higher than our highest crowd. I certainly know a few people who've been up to Sandy Park this season, including myself. Personally I prefer the football but I've certainly seen plenty of familiar faces from SJP up at Sandy Park. Whether the Chiefs can maintain their excellent crowds into a second season is yet to be seen.

We need to work along side the Chiefs to promote sport in the city and home games not clashing is an obvious start.

DannyJim

Agree. City need to promote sport and not be insular. If we wish to be a community owned club then we need to reflect the whole community.

I watch both Chiefs and City when I can. I do have to make a decision too often in the season.

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
I can see problems for ECFC if they fail to get into the Championship in next 2 seasons.

Chiefs are set for a long stay in the Prem and in all likelihood will be pushing for the Heineken Cup places in a couple of years time. Their attendances will grow and grow and they have permission to double their capacity and could realistically pull 15000 a week if they are successful on the pitch.

ecfctis

Sighs...........!

Been done, the usual suspects told us the club had done everything humanly possible to avoid clashes but that in any case it wouldn't make any difference if we did and the Chiefs were not competition for fans or other revenue streams.
Yep! Even more urgent that heads are taken out of the sand and properly focused on maximising all commercial activity, and avoiding clashes!
(Dream on!)