• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chesterfield away Saturday 18 November

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Know what you mean Lego. However I've found them to enjoy the banter without any malice, probably since we allowed them to spank us a couple of times in recent years and also I know that they really appreciated the warm applause we gave Jack Lester as he left the field for his final time.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Would love to have gone to this one but no can do, both with the Missus working that day meaning I have Madam to look after plus also my stepbrother's 30th. EDIT: A trip back to the Chesterfield Arms will have to wait another day. Some of the Exiles are doing a weekender for this one.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone know if there’s any seats left on the coach??

Oldsmobile-88

If you open the link in the first post it says tickets are for the Community East Stand
How long does the walk from the train station to the ground take ?

I prefer local knowledge than what it says on google maps..!

Legohead

Banned
How long does the walk from the train station to the ground take ?

I prefer local knowledge than what it says on google maps..!
It's roughly about 10 minutes i'd say. There is the canal towpath that brings you out at the Tapton Lock and then from there it's just a case of going under the subway of the big Tesco roundabout and the ground is behind it. More recently there has been a purpose built cycle path / pedestrian walkway that runs alongside the A61 road that goes to the Tesco and the ground and this is the route that many home and away fans take to and from the station although i've never been down here and unfortunately i've no idea how to get onto the path itself when you come out of the station. I'm sure the station staff would know though as we are only a small town.

Alternatively if you come out of the station, cross the road and turn left then and a quick right with the now closed and boarded up Chesterfield Hotel across the road then you need to walk straight up and across the roundabout opposite the Chesterfield Hotel and straight over the bypass bridge and on. Then you'll reach another roundabout which is locally known at the doughnut. Turn right and after a minute bear right again at the mini roundabout and then just walk down that road for about 10 minutes (Sheffield Road) eventually past a superb chippy called Chesters and then you'll eventually see the huge Tesco store and the ground from there which would be another couple of minutes walk.

You can see the Donkey Derby chain pub in front of you but the main pubs like the Derby Tup etc are past the football ground further down Sheffield Road where you'll find a William Hill, Ladbrokes, convenience stores and a few chippies of which the North Sea Fish Bar near the far end is superb and i can thoroughly recommend it. Avoid the first chippy you come to as it's not the best. Worth walking a couple of minutes further down to get to the North Sea Fish Bar. Fish is superb.

Plenty of street parking to be had although there are a couple of hilly side streets like Sanford Street and Nelson Street which have restrictions and i've often seen police stood at the end warning motorists about not parking here. I usually park up the small hill other side of the ASDA which is Peveril Road and further on round the corner near Newbold School there is plenty of free restriction free street parking even up to kick off and it's about a 5 minute walk. Beware though that the hilly Sanforth Street and Nelson Street can be a bit taxing to walk back up to you car if you struggle with mobility or fitness. They don't look that bad but i've huffed and puffed a few times walking up them after a game!

Sorry, bit long winded but more than happy to give any more info if a) anyone asks and b) i know it! :D

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Thanks Lego..I have always driven before,so a nice leisurely walk back to get the 1807 train to Exeter.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Just thought of a quicker way. If you follow my directions up to just past the Chesterfield Hotel and over the bypass bridge, straight after the bridge there are some steps leading down a kind of alleyway to and past Chesterfield College on your left. Follow this path straight on as it automatically becomes Infirmary Road and continue straight down after a few minutes when you need to turn left up Wharfe Lane for a few hundred metres and right at the top of it which brings you out on Sheffield Road about half way down and then continue past Chesters chippy and to the ground.

Legohead

Banned
Thanks Lego..I have always driven before,so a nice leisurely walk back to get the 1807 train to Exeter.
You'll have plenty of time to catch that train Olds. No problems.

fred binneys head

I'll be there with son and mates, at least 4 of us, maybe a few more.

Hopefully Swindon's last minute equaliser yesterday will have destroyed chesterfield's confidence.

Legohead

Banned
I'll be there with son and mates, at least 4 of us, maybe a few more.

Hopefully Swindon's last minute equaliser yesterday will have destroyed chesterfield's confidence.
They didn't have much to begin with to be fair. It's a club in absolute meltdown with all sorts of off field issues never mind on field and lower league clubs that struggle along in this way without rectifying any of the behind the scenes chaos usually end up going into obscurity eventually. Time's time for them this season IMO.

Unthinkable when you consider that less than 10 years ago when they moved into the new ground they were close to selling out each week, got promotions, won the JPT, had all sorts of extra revenue coming in from conferences and pop concerts such as Elton John and Tom Jones not to mention the hospitality side of things and some not too shabby transfer fees coming in for the likes of Jordan Bowery and Sam Clucas latterly among others. It really defies all logic how they now find themselves skint and at the bottom of the pile.

Mismanagement and greed aren't a great combination and will find you out in the end. A sad situation for the Spireites.