• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheats Do prosper!

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yesterday was the worst I have experienced in all my years. Time wasting, to the extreme. Spolit my afternoon hopefully it was a one off but if this is League 1 you can stuff it.
It is simply down to the officials they need to work as a team Cheltenham just took the **** and made them look stupid.
I honestly think the offcials are too afraid of the post match paperwork required to justify decisions they make regarding Yellows and Reds and therefore, don't bother.
The keeper alone went down at least 3 times injured !! got booked eventually and then carried on doing what he had been doing all game - he was never going to get a second yellow - two yellows for time wasting never going to happen how could the ref justify that to the authorities so they don't bother.

At least their manager was pleased with the performance :unsure: -

#fuming#spoiltafternoon

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yesterday was the worst I have experienced in all my years. Time wasting, to the extreme. Spolit my afternoon hopefully it was a one off but if this is League 1 you can stuff it.
It is simply down to the officials they need to work as a team Cheltenham just took the **** and made them look stupid.
I honestly think the offcials are too afraid of the post match paperwork required to justify decisions they make regarding Yellows and Reds and therefore, don't bother.
The keeper alone went down at least 3 times injured !! got booked eventually and then carried on doing what he had been doing all game - he was never going to get a second yellow - two yellows for time wasting never going to happen how could the ref justify that to the authorities so they don't bother.

At least their manager was pleased with the performance :unsure: -

#fuming#spoiltafternoon
They justify it by saying that deliberate time wasting is a booking, and this happened by the same player on 2 occasions so they received 2 yellows and were sent off. It's pretty simple.

dontpassback

Their manager will be found out soon,he isn’t a patch on duff,and when they are still scratching around at the bottom,he will be gone

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment directly on what happened yesterday but it all goes back to what I've said time and again with referees........ they simply aren't streetwise enough. It's not just about time wasting, or to give it it's PC name 'game management' but it's about everything else they let go because they don't understand what is going on right under their noses. You only have to watch Ref Watch on SSN on a Monday morning and watch Dermot Gallagher defend every **** up each ref makes to understand that.

andrew p long

I think you make the punishment fit the crime. Bookings do nothing. Referees are frightened to use them so as to result in a red so they are ineffective anyway. What impact will Southwood's booking have on anything? Didn't make any difference to yesterday's game other than to slow it down even further Anyone ever heard of a keeper getting a suspension for 5 bookings?

Two ideas, both to be imposed once a ref identifies time wasting. First instead of a booking the ref asks the opposition if they want another 5 minutes time added. Alternatively, time wasting at a stoppage and the award goes the other way. So time wasting at a throw , the throw is awarded to the other side. More dramatically time wasting at a goal kick and it then becomes a corner.

andrew p long

PS We do have a real problem with this issue game-wide. There was a Times article about Ashley Young at the start of last season. It said that he practises his time wasting in training; in 5-a-side practice games if his side is winning with a minute or two left he will do things like saying the ball has started to deflate. Even if his request to change the ball is refused, the debate absorbs much of the remaining time, takes any momentum out of the game etc. It infuriates his team mates.
But the article used it as an example of Young's will to win, professionalism etc. Dear oh dear!

JW57++

The referees have received an explicit directive this season to clamp down on time wasting and the associated shithousery. Robert Lewis evidently was either on holiday and missed it or chose to ignore it. He should be "brought to book" over it ! :mad:
It was obvious that he was not going to add sufficient time at the end. He was having a nightmare and knew it so he was going to get off that pitch as soon as he could. Given the number of substitutions in the 2nd half the added time was ludicrous.

scottus86

If a player is time wasting, then they get sin binned for 10 minutes. More effective punishment than a yellow card.

IndoMike

Posters are right to say that it's up to the referees to implement the rules, but it seems from early on the Cheltenham team reused that they could ignore the rules and get away with it.
re the rules on time-wasting precise enough? I'm sure that a public announcement via the tannoy would be effective - it would be an open and transparent warning for all to hear.
And it is very subjective. If a player drops to the floor the refs first concern has to be the safety of the player. He might suspect that the player is play-acting, but can't be sure. Is it not possible for the game to continue whilst a player receives treatment : there would be no point faking injury if the match was not stopped.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
They justify it by saying that deliberate time wasting is a booking, and this happened by the same player on 2 occasions so they received 2 yellows and were sent off. It's pretty simple.
You have missed my point - your statement is of course correct and yes simple but it never ever happens that is my point