• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Challinor...

cityfan13

With this whole Challinor saga......... We're in a Win Win situation.

If he stays......great! he's got a bit of ability and can score goals from Midfield.

If he goes.......great! He's on a massive wage which can be put to good use in terms of getting someone else of similar quality into the club. And with Tisdale's history of signings. We really WILL put it to good use.

B

Bastin-Stander

Challs is probily our best player, I always wanted this formation

Stansfield Phillips

Elam Gill Challs Carlisle

Ahhh well

city_youth

would also like to see that formation, just don't think JC's tackling is up to it. he's not a centre midfielder, but more of an attacking midfielder, playing just behind the front two.

Exeter_Girl

He's not gone yet and there is no way in the world he would drag his prima donna arse up to cold and windy morecambe.
Lets hope you are right!

N

nicky

yeah i agree he is one of our best players, how can you say good ridance to someone who has been our top scorers for 2 years. his partnership with lee phillips s now taking hold, especially with the ball he chipped in for LP to score at wembley.

jabba the gut

With this whole Challinor saga......... We're in a Win Win situation.

If he stays......great! he's got a bit of ability and can score goals from Midfield.

If he goes.......great! He's on a massive wage which can be put to good use in terms of getting someone else of similar quality into the club. And with Tisdale's history of signings. We really WILL put it to good use.
I suppose you have a point with some of that, however I was a bit nonplussed by the bit where you say, "with Tisdale's history of signings. We really WILL put (Challinor's wage) to good use."

Now I'm not a Tisdale knocker, but what history of signings? Edwards? (Good player but so slow he's probably still on the North Circular) Logan? (Good player but appears to be so disinterested he probably couldn't be arsed to find the North Circular in the first place) Elam? (Not bad, but might be a better player if he didn't seem to believe his own publicity) Ada? Cozic? Tully is just about the best signing Tis has made IMHO. It hardly matches up to the signings made by Inglethorpe does it? (And he seems to be the devil incarnate to some on here).

Now that's not to say that given time he might not prove to be a magician in the transfer market, or even that the likes of Elam and Logan might eventually settle in (although if the opinions on the Weymouth forum are honest ones I have my doubts) but I think it's a bit premature to acclaim him as a proven master as far as signing players is concerned.

Last edited:

GrecianInWales

Now I'm not a Tisdale knocker, but what history of signings? Edwards? (Good player but so slow he's probably still on the North Circular) Logan? (Good player but appears to be so disinterested he probably couldn't be arsed to find the North Circular in the first place) Elam? (Not bad, but might be a better player if he didn't seem to believe his own publicity) Ada? Cozic? Tully is just about the best signing Tis has made IMHO. It hardly matches up to the signings made by Inglethorpe does it?QUOTE]

Eh? Sorry Jabba, but I completely disagree with you about Edwards. Yes, he's not the paciest player, but he's been immense this season, probably between him and Gilly for player of the season. We've been crying out for someone like Edwards for years now and I'd probably say he's been one of the best players we've signed since we've been in the Conference.

Granted, he didn't have a great game, but how you can call him a poor signing is beyond me. I rate Tully, but Edwards is streets ahead.

jabba the gut

...Sorry Jabba, but I completely disagree with you about Edwards. Yes, he's not the paciest player, but he's been immense this season,...but how you can call him a poor signing is beyond me. I rate Tully, but Edwards is streets ahead.
I didn't say he was a poor player. If you read my post again, you'll see I said he was a GOOD player, but a very slow one (it's not just a case of him being "not the paciest").

I disagree with you about the relative merits of Tully and Edwards. I think we suffered more when Tully was injured than when Edwards was, although that might have had more to do with the relative merits of their replacements. However Edwards has made a number of important mistakes this season, for example at Gravesend, Rushden, Halifax etc and has been caught out by a lack of pace on more than one occasion; at the Kassam Tisdale had to switch Tully onto Odubade mid-game because he was giving Edwards so much trouble. By contrast I can only recall Tully making one bad mistake; at the Semi-Final home leg which he got away with.

Edwards might suffer from the lack of a younger, quicker centre-back alongside him, but I'm not going to go overboard about him. He's a good player whose better days are behind him.

Besides, my whole point was about Tisdale's canniness in the Transfer market. While it might have been a good bit of business, signing a player for a Conference side with six international caps and who has played in World Cup qualifiers is hardly a leap in the dark.

Fairclough once said that AI had "an exceptional eye for a player". I just don't think that Tisdale has proved that yet, although he might given time. I'm glad he's done well and rammed some of the knockers' words up their fundaments - however we shouldn't go overboard in the other direction either.

D

dobleman

jabba --that is a very reasoned and interesting post on Inglethorpe, and his signings, and i found that i was agreeing with every word.Bertie, elam, tully and logan --well out of the 4 of them, 3 are top of the "lets get rid of" list --on the other hand Tis got us to the play offs and inglethorpe didn't--its a bit like newman and saxton, who was better.One laid the foundations, and the other built a nice house !! I am sad ada and jones have gone --Tisdale has great support now both with the budget and with perryman to help and guide, and with the professional back room set up our club now has --so there really can't be too many excuses for not making it next season.

GrecianInWales

I didn't say he was a poor player. If you read my post again, you'll see I said he was a GOOD player, but a very slow one (it's not just a case of him being "not the paciest").

I disagree with you about the relative merits of Tully and Edwards. I think we suffered more when Tully was injured than when Edwards was, although that might have had more to do with the relative merits of their replacements. However Edwards has made a number of important mistakes this season, for example at Gravesend, Rushden, Halifax etc and has been caught out by a lack of pace on more than one occasion; at the Kassam Tisdale had to switch Tully onto Odubade mid-game because he was giving Edwards so much trouble. By contrast I can only recall Tully making one bad mistake; at the Semi-Final home leg which he got away with.

Edwards might suffer from the lack of a younger, quicker centre-back alongside him, but I'm not going to go overboard about him. He's a good player whose better days are behind him.

Besides, my whole point was about Tisdale's canniness in the Transfer market. While it might have been a good bit of business, signing a player for a Conference side with six international caps and who has played in World Cup qualifiers is hardly a leap in the dark.

Fairclough once said that AI had "an exceptional eye for a player". I just don't think that Tisdale has proved that yet, although he might given time. I'm glad he's done well and rammed some of the knockers' words up their fundaments - however we shouldn't go overboard in the other direction either.
And I didn't say you didn't say he was a poor player, but you seemed to imply Edwards was a poor signing :p

I think we missed Tully more than Edwards because when Edwards was injured Rico came in (another Tis signing). For me, Rico's not put a foot wrong when called upon. Tully, though, is a very solid player who has the potential to get better. I don't think I've ever rated him less than a 7 in each game.

I still don't see how you can say Edwards' best days are behind him. I think he's been awesome this season and was clearing suffering with wear and tear towards the end of the season. He's certainly a class above and the rest of the defence has benefited from a calm, experienced presence alongside them. Yes, he will suffer against quick players but Tis is clearly no mug and can switch accordingly. Often he doesn't suffer too much as he still has the nous to position himself well.

I would most certainly agree that AI was excellent in the transfer market and definitely had a great eye for talent. But it's not just about signing young, unknown or neglected players, as AI did (and you seem to be implying Tisdale should do, I think). It's about signing the right player for the right position.

I like the fact that Tis won't rush into a signing and will take each player on merit. And I think he's record is more hit than miss - even Ada wasn't the worst signing in the world compared to some of the donkeys we've signed in the past (and that's not calling Pat a donkey. I'd have liked to have seen him here for another season, go out on loan and develop. But I can totally appreciate why he's gone and is a good move for the player).

I'm not going overboard on the signings. But I think they've all played their part and I don't think I'd have called any of them duffers.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one mate.