• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caprice Nightclub

Geddon_Boys

Hi all,

I have recently started working in Queen Street and have been told that there used to be a nightclub under the Rougemont Hotel.

Was wondering if anybody has any info about the place or even better pictures from when it was a nightclub.

I believe it was called Caprice?

Thanks

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hi all,

I have recently started working in Queen Street and have been told that there used to be a nightclub under the Rougemont Hotel.

Was wondering if anybody has any info about the place or even better pictures from when it was a nightclub.

I believe it was called Caprice?

Thanks
It was called the Caprice. If you look at the hotel from the road there's a steep service road to the right - go down to the bottom and the entrance was in on the left. I'm sure I have a couple of pics from way back, but they're prints and I don't have a scanner. You can't see an awful lot in them anyway, they're from when local band Toxic Waste were supporting the Subhumans, probably in the early 80s.

iscalad

Used to smell something awful. After they closed it a river? was found underneath where the dance floor was, which was causing damp in the whole place. God awful place for a night out.

chunkymorrinmunter

Used to smell something awful. After they closed it a river? was found underneath where the dance floor was, which was causing damp in the whole place. God awful place for a night out.
on the subject of old clubs can anyone remember the Bag of Nails down by the white hart in south st. when did it close?

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
The Caprice changed its name to Tapps in the seventies (but it might've changed it back again).

The last time I went there was around November 1975 and I had spent that summer changing between Tapps, Zchivagos, St.George's Hall and the Clock Tower Café. Tapps was a dingy little place with very few seats and a lot of punch ups, inside and outside. There had been one almighty punch up at the end of the sixties involving skinheads and it had been shut down for a while.

I know of at least two other users of these forums that used to go.

Oldsmobile-88

The last time I went there was around November 1975 and I had spent that summer changing between Tapps, Zchivagos, St.George's Hall and the Clock Tower Café.
I had forgotten all about The Clock Tower Cafe.....A decent Jukebox & Pinball Machines upstairs....I used to pop in at lunchtimes,rather than use the Common Room at College,which was always thick with cigarette smoke(how times have changed.No smoking is allowed on the site now)