• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can we keep Matt Gill?

Well-known Exeweb poster
Harsh to judge him as yet he's 3 maybe 4? full games away from match fitness,but seems pretty simple for me, Oakley fit and playing Gilly goes, Oakley stays injured or retires gilly stays. or on the other hand pt could get rid of the doc at the end of his contract/season.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Harsh to judge him as yet he's 3 maybe 4? full games away from match fitness,but seems pretty simple for me, Oakley fit and playing Gilly goes, Oakley stays injured or retires gilly stays. or on the other hand pt could get rid of the doc at the end of his contract/season.
As I said on the original thread when we found out Gilly was coming, I would suggest Oakley won't be here next season and I think we'll be lucky to see him again this season. I reckon the injury he picked up against the Scummers (and you all tried to tell me it wasn't that bad a tackle) has done for him permanently at his age.

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I said on the original thread when we found out Gilly was coming, I would suggest Oakley won't be here next season and I think we'll be lucky to see him again this season. I reckon the injury he picked up against the Scummers (and you all tried to tell me it wasn't that bad a tackle) has done for him permanently at his age.
could well work that way, the older the player gets, the harder and longer it takes to recover and 2 get back into the 'rhythm', desire will play a big part and as the oaks' was half a yard from retirement b4 pt talked him around?, perhaps his desire will be pushed?, we will see, although he's different , IMO he gives us that little bit of organization and extra class, that arguably we've lacked since mr edwards hung his boots up.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its no secret why its taken us so many matches to get him back to full match readiness.Ever since he left City he has been bench warming or used badly during poorly conceived loan deals.He is back with the only manager who knows how to play him,if he wants the last couple of years of his career to be useful he should stay here.He would get into a Tisdale team on merit every week.

grecIAN Harris

Its no secret why its taken us so many matches to get him back to full match readiness.Ever since he left City he has been bench warming or used badly during poorly conceived loan deals.He is back with the only manager who knows how to play him,if he wants the last couple of years of his career to be useful he should stay here.He would get into a Tisdale team on merit every week.
I reckon I could name another player just like him currently plying his trade a little further up the M4 and was wasted for the last five minutes of yesterdays shocker at Macclesfield. 5 starts and 3 sub appearances......... what a waste.

Last edited:

FAN-TATIC

I reckon I could name another player just like him currently plying his trade a little further up the M4 and was wasted for the last five minutes of yesterdays shocker at Macclesfield. 5 starts and 3 sub appearances......... what a waste.
I agree Ian, what a waste.

However, one can't dismiss the facts that Swansea got rid of him very quickly. Brighton used him sparingly and sent him out on loan. MK Dons did not extend their interest beyond a short loan period and now Swindon use him very little. One has to ask why 4 different clubs all appear to have come to the same conclusion. What is he doing or not doing to cause them to do so?

STURTZ

I agree Ian, what a waste.

However, one can't dismiss the facts that Swansea got rid of him very quickly. Brighton used him sparingly and sent him out on loan. MK Dons did not extend their interest beyond a short loan period and now Swindon use him very little. One has to ask why 4 different clubs all appear to have come thigherr o the same conclusion. What is he doing or not doing to cause them to do so?
It's because Harley needs the team built around him, giving him the ball at every opportunity and not expecting him to be much of a blood and snotters type player. Not many higher etchelon clubs would afford him that luxury, having other players that are considered to be of a higher calibre.

I'm convinced that Tisdale would be able to employ his considerable talents, give him the chance to shine and we'd see the best of our "magician" again, he should be in his prime now.

Grecian_Jay

I would guess that his workrate hasn't improved from when he was here. He was a genius or a liability, depending on his performance, rarely anything inbetween.

He strikes em as someone who needs an arm round and a bit of love. Not a massive surprise he hasn't pushed on IMO.

Alistair20000

It's because Harley needs the team built around him, giving him the ball at every opportunity and not expecting him to be much of a blood and snotters type player. Not many higher etchelon clubs would afford him that luxury, having other players that are considered to be of a higher calibre.

I'm convinced that Tisdale would be able to employ his considerable talents, give him the chance to shine and we'd see the best of our "magician" again, he should be in his prime now.
Should we be starting a "Bring Back The Ginger Ninja" thread ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Should we be starting a "Bring Back The Ginger Ninja" thread ?
Harley v. Gow; could we have both?