• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caleb Watts signs

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the subject of names, I was perusing the football results yesterday and saw that the Notts County goalie has the same name as the Stevenage one. Brothers, presumably, rather than father and son..

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will all come down to budget and how the squad fits together. Caleb is still only 22 years old but has made less than 50 senior appearances so there is still a lot of potential to realise and experience to gain. It's easy to say there are better players out there for the immediate, but if keeping Caleb and his potential on the books in a squad player role means we can get in a quality player who really improves the side and Caleb continues his development rather than where otherwise we bring in two average players, then there is a choice to be made.

It would be great if we could have a 23/24 man senior squad full of quality and first eleven ready. Realistically though, we are always going to have to balance our budget with those players who are not quite first choice, but are further down the development path than those who need loan time, to bulk out the squad. They then need to improve and show they can battle for a first team spot. That is where I think Caleb sits at the moment.
We have a glut of promising young midfielders. While only Jake is currently close to being ready for the first team I wonder whether signing Caleb might block their future pathways.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have a glut of promising young midfielders. While only Jake is currently close to being ready for the first team I wonder whether signing Caleb might block their future pathways.
I would suggest they are different types of midfielders. Caleb is more attacking so would be competing with Pedro, Mitch and Alfie Cunningham if he gets a pro contract but Caleb is ahead at the moment in experience and maturity and can play other positions. It is an area where we are quite strong with youth players though.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

tom_ecfc

Popcorn on the Big Bank? 🍿

*At least it can’t be thrown far!