• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Burton Albion V Exeter City Match Day Thread.

DPR1901

I support him because he's our chosen manager and will be for at least another year whether we win or lose.

Up until transfer day he showed he was his own man and elected to see what his players were capable of, no matter what anybody else says, highly plausible in my book.

On transfer day 10 days ago he was widely acknowledged to have been very successful in bringing players in, he's now once again trying out his new players and what they might achieve.

Through no fault of his own he has now lost his key player and we have narrowly lost two games.

For me he still has yet to put a foot wrong and retains my faith and support.
On the money.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not just recent weeks no, I didn't specify that but I don't recall it seeming to be anywhere near as bad last season. We had diabetes, diabate, Stubbs , Jay- all getting in the end of a few. The crossing has been particularly bad this season
I agree with you that the crossing on Saturday was woeful but maybe also the defending this season has been better? Maybe last season, when players were looking to cross, there were fewer defenders to beat but this season they’re more tactically aware, or fitter so recover their positions better?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disappointed that the highlights (short and extended) don't show the lob over the keeper and clearance off the line near the end.

Grecian Max

Before Covid I spent a lot of time in Japan, it has become my first love. I am leaving soon to take up where I left off 3 years ago and will be spending my days photographing beautiful women once more, it's tough gig but someone has to do it!

Arigatou Gozaimasu
S02E01-cs2S1iM8-subtitled.jpg

Red faced

I agree with you that the crossing on Saturday was woeful but maybe also the defending this season has been better? Maybe last season, when players were looking to cross, there were fewer defenders to beat but this season they’re more tactically aware, or fitter so recover their positions better?
Quite possibly yes. I do think our defending does seem generally lot better under GC...as you say we are playing a league up. with the inclusion of Aimson, you'd hope that they could gel really well and become pretty formidable

andrew p long

Out of curiousity, this is a question to all,

Based on what we've seen so far. What is the statistic or statistics I should be seeing that gives everyone such hope in GC?

All the stats I've presented / seen have been worse, like we are around 30% less likely to score under Caldwell than Taylor / Nicholson. Just what stats are better under gc
How about '10th in League One' ? Even after all the problems , thin squad, injury crisis, difficult fixtures, transfers out, loss of coaching team, discipline issues, we are still very close to the highest finishing position we've had in the 60+ years since the abolition of regional lower leagues.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lies. Damn lies and statistics.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about '10th in League One' ?
I am happy with this statistic, it's as good as I'd have expected at the start of the season.

I am as stated earlier more worried about the home / away balance of this position. We have of course not played as many home games as would normally be expected, but the statistic I worry about is no home win since 12th November.

tonykellowfan

Sturtz did say "he hasn't put a foot wrong" which I don't agree with as we have failed to beat some weak teams by starting with very defensive line ups.

People seem to have very short memories but it wasn't that long ago that GC didn't even seem to want to play Nombe.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sturtz did say "he hasn't put a foot wrong" which I don't agree with as we have failed to beat some weak teams by starting with very defensive line ups.

People seem to have very short memories but it wasn't that long ago that GC didn't even seem to want to play Nombe.
I'd be quite surprised if Nombe starts tomorrow.