• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Buckle Relieved Of His Duties

On_The_Beach

Argyle would be mental to even consider him.

therefore yes, quite possible.

Southampton Gull

Wouldn't bet against him turning up at HP, SG.

Local lad and all that.
£20 says he won't take over there..........

jmgull

What goes around comes around;)
I posted my thoughts on the WOWS by mistake.......couldn't be arsed to write it again.

Bucks for me did a superb job for us, he instilled a pride in us that had had been all but worn away by the latter years of the Bateson era and then finally demolished by Chris Roberts' six months.
Love him or loathe him, to be honest I couldn't care less whether or not he's a nice or nasty bloke off the pitch (it matters little in this beautiful but money rotten game of ours)......his 4 years in charge of us had far, far more highs than lows, his teams always went forward, the quality of the football improved year on year......

...he should be a legend here but of course he's not, the manner in which he left, left a very bad taste, the play off final v satanage was all but lost before it took place because of his lack of loyalty and self centred ambition.

It should be noted that Bristol Rovers behaviour at that time, was also predictably pretty shocking (in particular there complete tool of a chairman Higgs), so I guess all parties got what they deserved.....

Buckle failed and got the sack....
Rovers are in a relegation fight and not only have to pay him off a considerable amount (to go with all the other managers they're still paying) they also have all his players on 2 or 3 yr deals.

The good guys, got a better manager, a team that plays good football..........and of course, just for once.......the last laugh

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
... He had to go there , bigger club than Torquay with more potential ...
Should have stayed with the Turks ... probably end up at Tivvy ...

... least he'll be able to say it's a sideways move.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Argyle would be mental to even consider him.

therefore yes, quite possible.
I believe Muff have made him an offer with an upfront golden hello payment of £0.007.

Cerbera

I understand Andy Tilson is a front runner?

Any truth in this?

older-codger

I'm not quite clear what Andy Tillson actually does. He is listed in the programme as "development coach" but who is he developing with Kwame as the youth coach?

Incontinentia

I don't quite get the vitriol towards Buckle from some Gulls.

His managerial record with you was good.

His departure was poorly handled, but it wasn't particularly his fault and the club needs to take a lot of the blame.

The Rovers job came at an awkward time given your play-off ambitions, but Buckle wasn't dishonest about it in my view. He was clear that he was interested in going to a bigger club with a bigger salary and budget, and that he would take the Rovers job if you stayed down and not if you went up. Players and managers are career-minded and know that it means moving clubs sometimes. As a fan, you can't get annoyed about it - the annoyance is if they are dishonest in their dealings with your club.

The club could have said, "look - this is disruptive and you need to either take the job or politely decline now and commit your future to Torquay before the play-off final - if that means going to Wembley without you, we'll do it." It's what I would have done. But they didn't, the team looked disrupted and lost, and he left like he said he would. Get over it.

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Bit harsh, he must have had something to do what he did with us, but he was a fool to take the Rovers job and the manner in which he left us was unforgiveable.

I can honestly see him ending up at Exeter at some point.
Yep; we need, a new... tea boy ;)

jmgull

I don't quite get the vitriol towards Buckle from some Gulls.

His managerial record with you was good.

His departure was poorly handled, but it wasn't particularly his fault and the club needs to take a lot of the blame.

The Rovers job came at an awkward time given your play-off ambitions, but Buckle wasn't dishonest about it in my view. He was clear that he was interested in going to a bigger club with a bigger salary and budget, and that he would take the Rovers job if you stayed down and not if you went up. Players and managers are career-minded and know that it means moving clubs sometimes. As a fan, you can't get annoyed about it - the annoyance is if they are dishonest in their dealings with your club.

The club could have said, "look - this is disruptive and you need to either take the job or politely decline now and commit your future to Torquay before the play-off final - if that means going to Wembley without you, we'll do it." It's what I would have done. But they didn't, the team looked disrupted and lost, and he left like he said he would. Get over it.
A little bit of re-writing of history going on here....Buckle met and agreed to be Bristol R boss well before the playoffs, even the level of compensation was agreed - he wasn't staying whether we went up or stayed put, despite what he was quoted as saying in the media.
Buckle allowed several players to drift out of contract and didn't sign some of the loan players we had verbally agreed to, funnily enough the same players that he immediately tried to sign for his new club.

You are right though, in that the club were just as much to blame (if not more).......should have got rid straight away